Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Talk me out of this

Blog Entries

Talk me out of this

Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeee talk me out of buying them all lol. I'm such a gadget girl...but expensive, but I think maybe worth it. Watched youtube videos on these rulers...Ok Ok I know I'm sounding like I'm trying to convince myself...I have them in the cart right now lol.... go check them out and let me know what you think. Maybe their cheaper somewhere else.
    http://www.quiltersrule.com/rulers/qr-westalee.html

jna
    You don't need them. If you have others use them. jna

Blog Entries
    To complicated and expensive for me. I'd need someone to "show" me.

Do you use the ones you already have??? That may help you decide if you are wasting your money or spending it wisely.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

I love my quilters rulers I have. I can't talk you into another brand. I will mention each ruler you buy has to have storage space and is money not spent on fabric. Maybe just 1.

I love gadgets but I don`t think that I would really `need`any of these rulers. A long ruler, a couple of squares and the tri recs set are the ones I really use.
    Shelbie from the High County in Southern Ontario

from one gadget girl to another, take a look at this brand: http://creativegridsusa.com/ They are also expensive, the same price all over the internet. As someone mentioned, if you are not using the rulers you have, think twice about buying more.

Hope this helps with your decision.

That does look handy- but you would always need a screwdriver handy.

I love my easy angles - they are my favorite.

But maybe you should get one of them and see how you like it. I would get the one that would cut when the fabric is folded in half.

Blog Entries
    I am a gadget girl also, but!!! Do you really think you will use them often? I have lots of rulers that I have yet to use and that is all in the last 8 years and probably won't use them ever. I keep going back to my old standard ones.
    Helen T.

Yep, too pricey and complicated for me. I find we can get too many gadgets. I would dump the cart, unless you really really want one, if that is the case, just get it and enjoy!

Looks complicated and storage may be an issue. Your call in the end.
    Linda

Blog Entries
    Change is good. Start looking at fabric you wouldn't otherwise buy and stay away from the gadgets. Or wait for the next new thing to come out and ask us again to talk you out of buying them.

Blog Entries
    I bought 3 of these at JoAnns for 1/2 the cost of just the cheapest one with a 50%off entire purchase a couple years ago. My GD used one to make a paper quilt for her art class this past Christmas. I tried to use them but I felt like they were more hindrance than help.

They are toooooooo pricey for my pocket book.

Yeah, I agree - much to specialized to get much use from. Keep looking for another gadget or get more fabric!

Don't really see the need for them. I think they would just sit on the shelf and never be used.
    Take them out of your cart. Use the money for more 'fabric'. LOL

Blog Entries
    Price doesn't bother me when I want to try something new for quilting but I don't want to try these. Too much extra work involved. For the price, the Alto Quilt Cut 2 does basically the same thing.
    Got fabric?

BCM
    Just a thought, but do you really want them? Maybe not since you are asking for assistance in a decision.

Don't do it!! The more gadgets you have the less you use them. If you already have a ruler for cutting triangles do you really need another one. Do you use the one you have? The only thing I can see that's different about these rulers are the screw (screw??, really??).

Think of the fabric you could buy .... if you purchased it instead of the rulers. Now if you really NEED them, then go for it, if its just another ruler to add to your collection, then I would pass on them.
    Amythyst

If you suddenly found yourselves jobless would you buy them?

about 15 years ago (and I've been quilting for 40 years) I learned the difference between need and want.
    The most valuable lesson I've ever learned.

My question is do you really need them? I am buying only what I need now and not what I want. I don't think I would use these very much. They look too complicated to me.

Take my word don't bother...use the ones you have.
    Life is short, enjoy every second.

I think I must be the only one to think that they are worth trying out. My only concern would be that the screws might not work effectively for as long as you would have the ruler. Do you screw into the plastic or is there a metal sleeve for the ruler to screw into? If you want to try for the same effect of these rulers before purchasing, how about just using tape on the bottom of your ruler to line up with the edge of the fabric as you cut. This might give you an idea of how much you would like the actual ruler. I, too, am a gadget girl and would not hesitate to give one of the rulers a try. (I've cut way too many crooked strips in my life. Anything that would help me improve in this area is worth the money as far as I am concerned!) Let us know what you decide.

I have the 24" Adj strip cutter ruler that I purchases at a quilt show and love it. You can set the edge (bottom piece) to the inches that you want to cut, tighten the little screw and butt it next to the fabric. Saves time looking for the inch line marks each time. Is it worth the money. NO. As I cut most of my stripes on the Accuquilt cutter. Is that worth the money, NO. So, depends on your hobby and money, it can be fun.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast