Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Thinking about a cordless iron? Here's my Iron Review >

Thinking about a cordless iron? Here's my Iron Review

Thinking about a cordless iron? Here's my Iron Review

Old 07-08-2017, 12:06 PM

Default Thinking about a cordless iron? Here's my Iron Review

I recently bought the Panasonic cordless iron. I love it! The freedom of not dragging a cord is great. It is not a pop up iron, but it does have an auto-shut off after ten minutes. Since I've been known to leave my sewing area for hours, forgetting to turn off my old iron, I really like that feature. If I am sewing more than ten minutes, I simply press the button for heating again, and there's no problem there.

I like that it has the square base that I'm used to, for sitting it on my ironing board if I want, while opening up seams with both hands, or whatever. I saw a double pointed cordless iron that had a good review, but it's not what I want.

Mine holds it's heat for as long as I would need it for anything I'd be ironing. When you put it on the base it quickly returns to the heat you set it for. Sliding it into the base is not difficult or annoying like I thought it might be before I bought it. I saw another iron that stood up straight on it's base, which I thought might be easier to return to its base for recharging, but, as I remember, it came only in 220 volts.

The cord rolls sweetly into the base, and pulls out freely for the length I need. The base is near to the size of the iron, so it's not bulky and fits exactly to the right of my machine on my cabinet. The cover clamps on and off the base easily, and keeps the dust off it, which I like as I leave my iron out all the time. Anyone going to a guild would love the case with its compact portability.

I've always preferred a stainless sole over the Teflon kind, and like that it has that feature.

If you are keen on multiple heat settings-- it has only three. I had often used the hottest 'linen' setting on my old iron, which did cause me to scorch my cottons occasionally, but I loved the tight, crisp press it gave. This is the only drawback I find with my new iron. It's hottest is 'cotton.' I find it's really hot enough though. :-) The trade off in heat settings in order to have cordless is worth it to me.

I have not tried the steam because I always dry iron, so I don't know how effective it is. There are certainly lots of holes in the sole plate, and there is also an option for direct squirting. The way of filling the water reservoir is really cool. It's see through plastic, so you can see how much water is in it. It snaps off of the iron very well-- you simply remove it and take it to where you can pour in your water, which seems very clean and convenient.

It has a good weight, not too light or cheap feeling, and not too heavy or clunky feeling. It all seems very well engineered, and well built.
Attached Thumbnails panasonic-cordles-iron.jpg   panasonic-cordles-iron2.jpg  

Last edited by givio; 07-08-2017 at 12:08 PM.
Old 07-08-2017, 09:43 PM

I purchased the same iron about a year ago when it was around $60 on Amazon. I really like mine also. A very few times I wished it would be hotter, but I just did a second run with the iron. I now have 4 irons and it's the one I keep out.
Old 07-09-2017, 03:12 AM

I purchased this one about 4 months ago. I just love it. Agree that no cord is so great as I can sew, swing chair to board and iron. I like the 2 pointed ends because doesn't matter how you pick it up for use; unless you need to use steam button, of course. https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-PAN...+cordless+iron
Old 07-09-2017, 04:42 AM
Power Poster

It won't get hot enough for me for pressing but it is handy to have. I use it to set the glue when basting my quits. No cords to worry about.
Old 07-09-2017, 06:33 AM

I like how it matches your vintage Singer
Old 07-09-2017, 06:56 AM

what do you mean, "two pointed ends" ?
Old 07-09-2017, 07:02 AM
DJ

I might have to consider this. My iron has a long cord which is helpful but can sure get in the way at times!
Old 07-09-2017, 08:16 AM

I have one just like yours. I have had it for at least a couple of years, and if it broke today I would immediately buy another one just like it. I do use steam, and it works great. One of my best sewing/quilting purchases.
Old 07-09-2017, 11:49 AM

JaneQuilter, check out sahansen44's link. The iron has the usual point in the front, and a point in the back also. The sides of the sole plate are curved, so there is not a way for you to set it down, except for flat on the sole plate.
Old 07-09-2017, 01:11 PM

I also love mine. I bought my 360 about a year ago.