Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Machine Embroidery
Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun >

Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

Old 03-14-2012, 09:46 AM

I have the Janome 350E. Had it for 1 1/2 years before started using it. Only done about 6 doll faces for charity dolls last year when it seized up on me and had to go to the shop. Haven't touched it since. Have what they call the Jr Digitiazer but don't know how to use it. Shop I bought the Janome from went out of business and can't find anyone to show me how to use the software. Keep thinking when I have time, will just sit down and teach myself. But never any time.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:22 PM

Hi all! As for stabilizers its a matter of testing as you go. I've done pillowcases and just did one recently for a swap on the board (I'll post pics later, I'm at work, hehehe). I used tear away stabilizer, medium weight and it came out just fine. normally when drying the laundered pillow cases they do come out a bit wrinkle but to make it look very nice and flat I iron BEHIND the embroidered design and no steam. Sometimes it does come out wonky but that can also be either the stabilizer or the tension since I've noticed that not all embroidery threads are alike. For example: I've used the same 40ct wt. Madeira thread vs. the 40ct wt. Sulky thread and found the Madeira I had to loosen the tension and on the sulky tighten just a bit. I test out a sample first and use those as my templates as well. Nancy's Notions website www.nancysnotions.com carries a sample cloth on a roll to test stitch designs on and use for templates later. Just a thought...
Old 03-14-2012, 03:47 PM

I have a Singer Quantum XL5000 and the Singer Futura. I use PES format on both of mine. I also use Embird for getting my designs from the web. Like both of my machines.
Snownannie
Old 03-14-2012, 03:53 PM
Swap Hosts

Karen, I am so glad you started this thread. I've been thinking of starting one to discuss best methods of combining embroidery machines and quilting, but here we are!
Two Christmases ago my husband bought me a Babylock Sofia 2 which is both a sewing machine and embroidery machine with a 4x4 hoop. I was looking for a sewing machine that had more stitches and he talked me into it. I wondered what on earth I would do with an embroidery machine. Ha! Less than a year later, I bought a second one - a Brother PE-770 with a 5x7 hoop.
Looking forward to the posts on this thread.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by snownannie View Post
I have a Singer Quantum XL5000 and the Singer Futura. I use PES format on both of mine. I also use Embird for getting my designs from the web. Like both of my machines.
Snownannie
I have a LOT of designs that are not catalogued. They are just downloaded to a file - about a 1000 of them. Will Embird automatically sort them into like subjects, i.e., butterflies, horses, etc. and label the files?

Last edited by TanyaL; 03-14-2012 at 04:56 PM.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Sheesh View Post
Does anyone have an idea of what software extension is for a singer futura embroidery machine? I bought it from HSN and haven't found this info so far. Never had an EM,but many other sewing and also an espire quilting machine, not quite ready for a longarm
My SSPlatinum software says that singer should use .xxx extension hope this helps
Old 03-14-2012, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by LoriJ View Post
I have a Janome 350E, just got it last October and haven't dont a whole lot on it yet. I just finished a hummingbird quilt that's on another thread. My DH got me magnahoops for Christmas, so now I can try to put something on the pashima scarves I found. I'm still looking around to see what editing software I want to use.
Oh my two top loves embroidery and hummingbirds. Would love to see your quilt!!
Old 03-14-2012, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by cutebuns View Post
For the scarf I would use the sticky stabilizer especially since you want it to look good on both sides. If you use iron on it would be hard to get the extra off when you are done. I would pick an open line design. Some of these fabrics don't do the fill very well no matter what you do. If you don't use the stick I would be tempted to use a disolve one. My mom has the feature that she can baste the outside of the design and I would use it to help keep it from moving. The disolve one would make it easier to remove it afterwards and open up some other design possibilities.
I agree My first thought would be the dissovable. I have had issues with cheaper sticky ones playing havock on my needles.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:40 PM

I currently have the Janome MC9500, started and still have the Brother PE150 with 4X4 design area. It was so fun that I started a home based embroidery business with a used six needle Toyota but do to hubbies relocation I have sold the commercial machine and started back to just using it for personal things.
I have the pantograms forte software as well as the SSPlatinum
LOVE< LOVE LOVE this thread
and the pictures that are posted are just awesome!!!!!
Old 03-14-2012, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by clem55 View Post
I have the Janome,Had it about a year and a half, have yet to try any embroidery, and that is what I really wanted it for! I just sort of feel at a lose to do anything. Need to know about stabilizers, threads, hooping, all of it!!And Karen, if there is anyone who can and will find all the answers, it would be you!! So a thread about this would be great.
Clem55 when I was learning I fould that the thinner the material the thicker the stabilizer (except for towels that is a whole new chapter) If you watch videos by Nancy of Nancy;s notions u will pick up alot. I will try to post address for u tube videos also