Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Machine Embroidery
Magnetic Hoops Used for Quilting on Embroidery Machine? >

Magnetic Hoops Used for Quilting on Embroidery Machine?

Magnetic Hoops Used for Quilting on Embroidery Machine?

Old 02-14-2016, 10:22 AM

Default Monster hoop

A while ago I purchased the DIME Magna Hoop. I was very disappointed, as it wasn't as strong as it would need to be to hold a quilt. I have a Viking Diamond, so I purchased four of their magnets. Still not thrilled, as 4 was not enough. Got 4 more and that was great! But every time I wanted to move the quilt to a different area, I had to deal with EIGHT magnets!! Not long ago I attended a DIME demo, and they had drastically improved the Magna, and now it is the Monster Hoop. I was over the moon! STRONG magnetic ring the same size as the metal hoop! I ordered it and it is WONDERFUL! They have a hoop for almost every machine (ordered custom for your machine) so they fit your clamp, etc. I use it all the time, moves easily when you want it to, but doesn't move when it is slightly bumped like the original did. Several sizes available and comes with a plastic "board" to store between the magnet and the ring (trust me, you don't want to let them touch, you won't be able to separate them!) I just ordered the top magnet, since I already had the ring. I can eve do applique and not disturb the hoop position while trimming. I have completely removed the hoop to fix a bobbin issue and replaced it with NO issues! I love the Monster!

Last edited by linda8450; 02-14-2016 at 10:24 AM.
Old 02-14-2016, 05:58 PM

I have used magma and snap, the monster is just a stronger top for the snap hoop and honestly would not buy a snap hoop without the monster as it shifts way too much. I own the magna hoop the only qualm I have with it is you lose some of the hoop space since it sits inside your regular hoop
Old 02-15-2016, 04:55 AM

is there a magnetic hoop for the janome 350e?
Old 02-15-2016, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by Rennie View Post
Does anyone use the magnetic hoops to do their quilting on their embroidery machine? I have been using the regular hoops - but it is hard to get the quilts hooped. I am going to try sticky solvy, but just saw those magnetic hoops and wondered if anyone had success with them and if there was one that would work with my BL Esante.
I too was told not to use magnets around my Viking Embroidery Machine. It is older so I still won't take the chance. They look easy and I wish I could use them. Just an old scaredy cat I guess.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:15 AM

I would recommend that you not use any stabilizer unless you know it is totally wash away and you plan to immediately wash the quilt. I have a lovely quilt until you look at the back and see all the little white dots of stabilizer!! That was the first and last time I even used any stabilizer. Generally your quilts are heavy enough that you don't really need stabilizer.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:48 AM

I have the Designer Diamond and the Epic and there is no problem with using any magnet around the machines. There are magnetic hoops for these machines and they are great! Actually the hoops have very powerful magnets that hold the project in place.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:49 AM

The Snap Hoops, Magna Hoops and Monster Hoops are all the same thing. The Snap hoops have the fewest and weakest magnets, the Magna has more and the Monster has best and strongest magnets. As far as I know they do not make them for the Babylock Esante.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:03 AM

I haven't used the magnetic hoops, but have been checking them out. Nancy's Notions has the full range of sizes and the machines they fit.
http://www.nancysnotions.com/product...ock+brother.do
Old 02-15-2016, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by fivepaws View Post
I too was told not to use magnets around my Viking Embroidery Machine. It is older so I still won't take the chance. They look easy and I wish I could use them. Just an old scaredy cat I guess.
My neighbor has a newer Viking embroidery machine, but I don't remember which model. She did a lot of embroidery and bought the Viking magnetic hoop. Her machine has not worked right since even after we took it in for service.
Old 02-15-2016, 01:19 PM

I use Mighty Hoops for my 12 needle Happy embroidery machine very successfully. Mighty Hoops have stronger magnets than many of the ones for home machines, but I have never had a problem with them holding something. I routinely do burp cloths using pre-folded diapers, much thicker than a quilt. I don't use any stabilizer, just hoop and go.