Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Machine Embroidery (https://www.quiltingboard.com/machine-embroidery-f28/)
-   -   Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun (https://www.quiltingboard.com/machine-embroidery-f28/embroidery-machines-lets-chat-have-fun-t32969.html)

Quilty-Louise 12-07-2013 07:00 AM

What always works the best for me is to use 2-3 layers of water soluble stabilizer
(WSS), a large eye SHARP needle, and slow the embroidery speed down to the
slowest setting possible (on my Brother machines that is 350 spm).

Others might find other things that work best for them, but so far I have not
had many issues (a few here and there) with what I listed above.

Good luck hope all turns out well for you.

Originally Posted by Jratcliff (Post 6443540)
I am about to embark on a FSL design. Any suggestions?

jlwheart 12-07-2013 08:21 AM

Great idea! Thanks Craftybear. I have a Viking Designer I with multiple hoop sizes and 3D pro software. I've been stitching designs for 10+ years and have made many items for gifts and sale to friends and family. My current project is a 4x4 12 days of Christmas gift for my sister. I saw her tree Fri and now know what trims to & backing to put with the designs. My favorite designs come from Embroidery Library. They're a MN co and I live in MN and really appreciate being able to use the internet to buy locally. I sure hope we can use the board to share about our successes and challenges as we embroider.

sewred 12-07-2013 08:49 AM

I got some really pretty Dark copper embroidery thread from a friend but don't know what kind it is. Anyway it's really soft feeling and so shiny kinda looks like 2 or 3 strands twisted together, so I'm using it to do names and it keeps wanting to shred or break after awhile. I have the tension turned down to pretty slow and I have double checked to see if bobbin is in correctly . Any other suggestions for using this? I also have some other colors and want to use it in my Christmas gifts so need advice please? Also hubby made me a thread spool stand so I can put it on there with a thread net and it is astanding one instead of it laying horizontal.

Thanks in advance!

Quilty-Louise 12-07-2013 02:03 PM

From what you describing it sounds like it is metallic thread.
What always works the best for me is to use a large eye SHARP
needle, and slow the embroidery speed down to the slowest setting
possible (on my Brother machines that is 350 spm).

Originally Posted by sewred (Post 6443765)
I got some really pretty Dark copper embroidery thread from a friend but don't know what kind it is. Anyway it's really soft feeling and so shiny kinda looks like 2 or 3 strands twisted together, so I'm using it to do names and it keeps wanting to shred or break after awhile. I have the tension turned down to pretty slow and I have double checked to see if bobbin is in correctly . Any other suggestions for using this? I also have some other colors and want to use it in my Christmas gifts so need advice please? Also hubby made me a thread spool stand so I can put it on there with a thread net and it is astanding one instead of it laying horizontal.

Thanks in advance!

romanojg 12-07-2013 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Quilty-Louise (Post 6443582)
What always works the best for me is to use 2-3 layers of water soluble stabilizer

Totally agree, It took me two holidays to figure this out when trying to get serger thread to work consistantly. I don't need everything in rayon and I was making things for kids so it wouldn't have lasted long anyways so I didn't want to use expensive thread. The sharp needle was the key for the serger thread. emblibrary.com has some tutorials on it

romanojg 12-07-2013 02:48 PM

Quilty-Louise; Just an FYI there are some fabulous designs (as usual) on Embroidery Library.
They even have a FSL pickle.

Thank you so much. I sent them an email last yr when I was trying to find one because we celebrate the German tradition for that side of our family. I could only find one last yr and it was poorly made. Deb emailed me back and said they'd look into doing it for this yr. I haven't been looking at too many sites lately to save on money. I have to download the freebee's so I'll have to get this one. It's nice to know that they listened to what I had suggested. I will have to email her and thank her; its a good one.

Jratcliff 12-08-2013 08:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=Quilty-Louise;6443582]What always works the best for me is to use 2-3 layers of water soluble stabilizer

QUOTE]

I did everything you said and love the results. I did an angel in three parts that will become an ornament - the pattern from Urban Threads - and love the results. I put mylar on the WSS so it has a tiny sparkle. Thank you for the suggestions.

Quilty-Louise 12-08-2013 08:33 AM

I am so glad to know it worked for you.

So far your angel looks great.

[QUOTE=Jratcliff;6445591]

Originally Posted by Quilty-Louise (Post 6443582)

QUOTE]

I did everything you said and love the results. I did an angel in three parts that will become an ornament - the pattern from Urban Threads - and love the results. I put mylar on the WSS so it has a tiny sparkle. Thank you for the suggestions.

quiltnut4ever 12-08-2013 06:24 PM

Jratcliff that is a beautiful piece! And with how us the picture once its completed

sherian 12-08-2013 09:09 PM

I really like embroidery library also. At my sew and Vac. in Richmond - they say to use the designs that are really layers
of threads - thick - ( I have had trouble with to stiff card board like and in my make sure it is machine.) They say to
change to less stiches, slow down, good fabric not thin. good stabilizer not to thick but solid stick on may be to much.
I call it hit and miss. It can take me 2 or 3 times to get a good one.
I like Anita Goodesign and John Deer. His book is great.