Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Machine Embroidery (https://www.quiltingboard.com/machine-embroidery-f28/)
-   -   Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun (https://www.quiltingboard.com/machine-embroidery-f28/embroidery-machines-lets-chat-have-fun-t32969.html)

Quilty-Louise 11-11-2014 12:33 PM

Neesie,

I bought 2 LARGE spools of bobbin thread from Amazon a couple years
ago and they worked just fine.

However when I make FSL (free standing lace) items I use the SAME thread
in the bobbin that I use on top.

Neesie 11-11-2014 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Quilty-Louise (Post 6964914)
Neesie,

I bought 2 LARGE spools of bobbin thread from Amazon a couple years
ago and they worked just fine.

However when I make FSL (free standing lace) items I use the SAME thread
in the bobbin that I use on top.

Good to know. Thanks! I've been drooling over the FSL patterns, I've been seeing . . . especially the bookmarks! Do you use the #90 for top and bottom or a heavier thread for both?

I just pulled the machine out of the box, this morning. Read through the manual and tried out a simple design, using a spool of C&C thread (for top thread), I'd used for an applique. Seems to work just fine . . . BUT am definitely gonna have to order a smaller hoop. Amazon.com must love me! :D

Gay 11-11-2014 01:48 PM

Neesie, I have 2 Brother embroidery machines, and have never used their thread that came with it. I've always used less expensive threads of many brands and never had any problems. So try whatever you have. Have also seen FSL designs done with poly or rayon threads, also bobbin or serger thread (cotton) - and as quiltylouise says, use the same thread top and bottom. Hope we see some of your stitchouts here.

Cheers

Quilty-Louise 11-11-2014 02:15 PM

Neesie,

When it comes to my hoops I SELDOM use my smaller hoops.
I use the 4x4 more than the smallest hoop which is like about
2x3.

In fact when I bought my Brother Innov-Is 1500d machine it
didn't come with a 2x3 hoop and I did not buy it either.

As for thread, my all time FAVORITE is the Floriani brand, but
there are others who prefer different brands.

I also buy my needles by the 100 from All-Stitch.

The website is ALL STITCH

Originally Posted by Neesie (Post 6964929)
Good to know. Thanks! I've been drooling over the FSL patterns, I've been seeing . . . especially the bookmarks! Do you use the #90 for top and bottom or a heavier thread for both?

I just pulled the machine out of the box, this morning. Read through the manual and tried out a simple design, using a spool of C&C thread (for top thread), I'd used for an applique. Seems to work just fine . . . BUT am definitely gonna have to order a smaller hoop. Amazon.com must love me! :D

Neesie 11-11-2014 02:25 PM

Thanks, Gay! I was seriously hoping it'd be as thread-friendly as my Janome (which seems happy with anything), so will just play around with it and see what works and what doesn't. That #90 thread really threw me for a loop!

One of my first projects will be to personalize a little quilt, for my great-niece. Being the natural chicken I am, I'll embroider her name onto a piece of fabric, then applique it onto the quilt. :p Naturally, I want a prettier font than the built-ins . . . but saw some lovely ones online, not long ago. Now I just have to find that link, I saved 'in a safe place' and order the download. :)

Neesie 11-11-2014 02:29 PM

Louise, the 'smaller' hoop I want is the 4x4. The machine came with only the 5x7, which requires a much larger piece of fabric, than I'll usually be using. Needless to say, the larger piece of fabric also requires a larger piece of stabilizer . . . and I tend to feel a bit stingy, when cutting stabilizer. :D

jem39 11-11-2014 08:21 PM

I've never used anything other than 60 wt for my bobbin thread - either in my ULT or the 780D and have never had any problems with it.

Nita in sunny Florida

Neesie 11-11-2014 08:38 PM

Seriously, the #90 (that came with the machine) doesn't 'look' that much thinner than my #50. I'm definitely gonna give the #60 a try! Thanks, everyone!

Cari-in-Oly 11-11-2014 08:47 PM

My BFF uses the same 60wt bobbin thread from All Stitch in her Designio 820(same machine as the PE770) that I use in my Janome 200e and 350e and she has never had a problem. We combine our supply orders to get the free shipping.

Cari

Rennie 11-12-2014 04:07 PM

Nessie, I have the Brother 770 - got it early this year. LOVE IT! I use the #15 prewound bobbins that I bought from the same place I bought my machine on-line - no problems. The only thread I have a problem with when embroidering on it is Sulky. I normally use ARC thread. ENJOY IT.