Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"To Prewash (fabric) or Not" that is my question (to you.) >

"To Prewash (fabric) or Not" that is my question (to you.)

"To Prewash (fabric) or Not" that is my question (to you.)

Old 05-04-2011, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by cny_sewer39
Good Morning Every1,
I have a question for you all. Do you prewash you fabrics for quilts :?: If you do, what type of "soap" do you use :?: I have heard there is some kind of soap (that Liz Porter uses to wash her quilts in) that you can find at a local feed store. I have NO CLUE what its called or even how to spell it. :lol:
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all.
I started quilting by prewashing everything, but that got to be tedious. Now, I only prewash fabric if I suspect it will bleed, if it comes from someplace other than the quilt store, or if I'm specifically instructed to do so for a swap or pattern. When I do prewash fabric, I'll use either handsoap/shampoo if I'm handwashing in the bathroom next to my sewing room and then will hang dry or will wash in the washer with my regular laundry detergent (scent/dye free All or Purex) and will damp-dry in the dryer (if you dry all the way, the wrinkles are horrible). My sewing room is on the 2nd floor and the W/D is on the first, hence using bath supplies :-).
Old 05-04-2011, 04:52 AM

I don't pre-wash my fabrics. After quilting for 30+ years, I can honestly say I have never seen any noticeable shrinkage in any of my quilts.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:12 AM

No to prewash...easier to cut with sizing...I've actually washed right after making to see abt shrinkage and have lost abt 1/2 inch...so what...also like the look.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:02 AM

Wash in my normal detergent sometimes with a color catcher and sometimes with my household laundry if it's the same color load. It gets rid of all the factory sizing and chemicals and makes sure there are no surprises in the finished quilt.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:55 AM

I had never prewashed before, but, having read other blogs about this, I decided I was going to start. I zig zagged the ends of my fabric, to help cut down on fraying. I put the fabric into a pillow case, and put a shout color catcher in the bottom of my washer, washed using my regular laundry detergent. Hung to dry. Ironed using spray starch and love how the fabric is now. So much easier to cut
Old 05-04-2011, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by gale
I don't prewash anymore because I buy some precuts like jelly rolls and layer cakes and those can't really be prewashed easily. I will sometimes wash though. For example I bought some yardage and then noticed the lady who cut it eating. My dd has severe food allergies so in order to reduce the risk of her having a reaction to the fabric somehow I will wash it.
Really?, someone was eating while they were cutting your fabric?? That's disgusting and very unprofessional. I know we all can't be 100% germ free, but that literally "takes the cake" in my mind.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:14 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by greenini

Because my fabric is of unknown parentage generally,
ROFL I like that! Unknown parentage!
Old 05-04-2011, 07:25 AM

I started pre-washing when I first started quilting... but have gone to not pre-washing, normally because I cant stand the wait! I am happy to see that I am not alone!
Old 05-04-2011, 07:36 AM

If it smells or is a dark color I prewash.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:51 AM
Power Poster

The name of the soap found in farm stores is:

Orvis Soap

There are about a jillion posts about washing or not washing fabric before cutting it.

I think it breaks out to about half do and half don't.