Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"Age" Related Slump >

"Age" Related Slump

"Age" Related Slump

Old 05-30-2011, 08:15 AM

I can relate. I feel that way too, sometimes. Then I just think about all the supplies that my dau. & granddau. will have! They will either cuss me or bless me when they start going thru all my stuff from scrapbooking, jewelry making and sewing/quilting--probably a bit of both! :mrgreen:
Old 06-18-2011, 05:28 AM

I am just catching up on my reading here....
I am not an upper age quilter, but I thought I'd give you my two cents.
Why don't you start one of those projects you've always wanted to do? Really concentrate on just that one project. When you get it done, perhaps you will have worked yourself out of that slump.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:51 AM

My mom is 95 and still making quilts. She makes what she wants, often lap quilts for charity.

Find a purpose for your quilting. There are many children and new babies that need the comfort of a small quilt. Since you have the ability and the fabric you should help orhers.

Not all our dreams some true. This is not Disneyland!! But maybe God has something different for you to do. His ideas are always better than ours. I have lived with depression and understand. Some days are just bad, but many are good.

THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS.....
Old 06-18-2011, 06:00 AM

I missed this somehow when you first wrote it, but hope you are feeling better.

I live by the philosophy that if you don't leave a lot of things undone when you go (at any age), then you were already gone. You live every day as if it were your last and one of them will be (for all of us). But if you sit around waiting, with all your loose ends tied up, you're not living - you're marking time.

You are a quilter - you don't mark time, you create and enjoy the process for as long as it lasts. Let us know that you are back to shopping and sewing and living! We care.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:05 AM

This is from "Age related Slump". So many of you responded in a most helpful and encouraging way. I want to say thank you to all. Jusst to let you know, I took your advice, and have started sewing and I even purchased some fabric last week.
Old 06-18-2011, 03:19 PM

Marcy,

Good for you! Keep it up and show up a picture of what you're working on.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:27 PM
elm

Good for you!!! Hope you are enjoying yourself. I just allowed myself to buy some fabric online for the first time. Hope you are having as much fun as I am. It makes me happy to look at fabric and read quilting magazines too. I have to control myself or I'd be buying every magazine I see.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:41 PM

For what it is worth..I turned 85 on June 11. I am going strong, am President of our local quilt guild, in the process of making 3 different quilt tops, and the worst of which is a bargello. But it was on my bucket list so had to get cracking.
I am of the opinion if you give up and don't keep moving and doing you will get old. So keep quilting, enjoy the day and bless each morning with a smile. Your only as old as you feel, and never too old to stop feeling.
WE make quilts and donate them to nursing homes, the recipients really love getting them.
Hang in there!!!
Gigix12