Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"Birds nest" THANK YOU!!! >

"Birds nest" THANK YOU!!!

"Birds nest" THANK YOU!!!

Old 10-01-2010, 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by Dragonfly Nana
Another "trick" is to start with a scrap of fabric then feed in the item you want to sew.
I do this alot when I am piecing. If I don't my first piece gets yucked on.
I try to do that most of the time. it is easier and saves a lot of time and frustration.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by watterstide
"leaders" do help..but my Janome 6600 spits up all the time, it makes me mad, because i just don't think i should have to hold both threads, on a new/modern machine.
but i do now..

I've sewed on and off since high school and have always held both threads so this doesn't seem strange to me-just habit.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:11 AM
Google Goddess

glad you got it figured out and this will help others in the future, thank you!
Old 10-01-2010, 07:20 AM
dls

Did you think of using a new needle? Sometimes when my machine starts to act up , I realize I haven't changed needles in a while. It often solves the problem.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:54 AM

oh, i always check the bobbin, rethread and and change needles to..it is my machine..
Old 10-01-2010, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Mary M
My Janome 6600 does the same thing. I am not fond of pulling up the tread each time I start to sew something. For what is supposed to be a professional machine it sure doesn't want to act like it.

Originally Posted by watterstide
"leaders" do help..but my Janome 6600 spits up all the time, it makes me mad, because i just don't think i should have to hold both threads, on a new/modern machine.
but i do now..
Try using "leaders" and "enders". I always have a little scrap under my needle...plus I save a lot of thread that way.
Old 10-02-2010, 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by DeniseP
Thanks to all of you who offered help in my birds nest dilemma. Someone else on the board here referred to them as "my machine barfing up a bunch of thread" which I think sounds much more accurate.

It seems that holding both threads as I begin to stitch helps. That is where I was having the problem, when I began to stitch. This was not just on quilts, it was on anything which made it that much more annoying. Anyway, I think my problem was solved by rethreading, cleaning out the bobbin case (wow, lots of barf in there) and holding the thread. Again, many thanks!!! 8-)
Another note on your problem. Since it is mostly at the beginning of your stitching, take a small scrap of fabric and stitch across it before snipping the threads of your project. It is under the pressure foot holding the thread when you start the next seam. My mother insisted on this as much as possible as it saved thread, did away with the "bird's nest", and eliminated a great deal of threading the needle "again."
Old 10-02-2010, 05:03 AM

I think the leaders and enders help also. But keeping the lint out of the bobbin area might help even more.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:06 PM

Holding the thread and starting with the needle down will solve 90% of the problem as long as the machine is clean of lint, threaded correctly and tensions balanced for the fabric at hand.
Old 10-02-2010, 04:22 PM

I glued a 1/2" round of the sticky side of Velcro on the right side about 4 inches behind my needle and I take the thread back there and rub it into the little "hooks" and they hold it and leave both my hands free. Not my original idea, I read it somewhere on the internet. You could just use a short piece of straight Velcro also, not necessarily go by the package of "dots" just for this project.