Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"Want to"  vs "Ability" >

"Want to" vs "Ability"

"Want to" vs "Ability"

Old 07-02-2011, 01:21 PM

Yours looks great! Charisma has many years of practice and experience which most of us don't have yet....and personally, I'd rather piece something new than quilt for hours anyway. Mine are utility quilted at best! :)
Old 07-02-2011, 02:01 PM

Looks good to me, if you want to see something really bad come to my house and look at what I have done.
Old 07-02-2011, 02:29 PM

Wow, I think you are being hard on yourself and maybe that perfectionist gene is showing. What you did was great and I'm sure will only get better over time if that is what you can produce as a starter. Great work - really. I do think our eye gets used to seeing amazing work on this board and quilting done by longarm quilt machines. I still work on my home machine and the results aren't quite so fluid and perfect looking but still I get a quilt out of it.
Old 07-02-2011, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by quilter68
Looks good and is better than I can do!
If I could do that well I would. and consider myself with the ability, just have poor judgement on your own work. It is like cooking, have you ever noticed that somebody else's always taste better from the same receipe. Well its the same. Don't be so hard on yourself.!!!
Old 07-02-2011, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
Not sure what you are complaining about. It's very pretty! Besides, (while I totally admire the work of Charisma) I want to make "Martina Quilts" which means I do the best I can and improve as I go along. I think you can be very happy with your "Lea work."
I totally agree with the above, except I want to make "Rose Quilts" LOL! My answer is to keep doing the same motif over and over on all my quilts until I feel I have it mastered. Then I move on to the next one and keep using it until I feel I've mastered it. Each time you master one you have one more to add to your arsenal of tricks. I learned in kindergarten that practice makes perfect and so I practice. Don't be so hard on yourself, I still can't make a feather and I think yours look great!!
Old 07-02-2011, 03:06 PM

Looks good to me, I think you are too hard on yourself.
Old 07-02-2011, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by MaryAnnMc
While I agree with everyone else that your feathers look just fine, I understand your angst... when I get to Heaven, I intend to ask God why He gave me such strong desire to sing and play music and absolutely no talent. lol. All my life I have enjoyed a variety of activities, and I've never been good at any of them. So what? I enjoyed them all, and will continue to. Try to let it go, and enjoy the process, and find beauty in your results. I think the quilt is gorgeous, and I want to make one just like it!
I like this advice, Let it go, it only applies to some areas of my life I cant quite make it to all. Thank you, sometimes the simplest words mean so much.
Old 07-02-2011, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by leatheflea
There's enough free motion test squares laying around this sewing studio to pad my cell for the day I crack from trying so hard.
You have a way with words!

I think your quilting looks great, but I know that probably does not mean too much to you if you are measuring yourself against a standard which is higher than mine.

I too yearn to achieve effortless brilliance in all sorts of creative endeavour. My left and right brain wrestle it out daily inside my throbbing head. Sometimes I get into that lovely grove where I can stop battling and something that makes me thoroughly happy appears.( Most days not, though, although lots of things make me happy when I have let them settle for a while.) I think I need to practice mindfulness more- overthinking is as bad for your quilt as wonky sewing sometimes. If you sew the anxiety in, it sort of blurs what you see when you look at your work maybe.
Old 07-02-2011, 03:59 PM

Looks great to me. If you think it doesn't, you should see mine.
Old 07-02-2011, 03:59 PM

I think you have done a good job. It will get better.