Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
$13 a yard???? >

$13 a yard????

$13 a yard????

Old 05-13-2015, 07:54 PM

Wouldn't that be good - thats more like our sale price!!!!
Old 05-14-2015, 12:11 AM

I'd say $13/yd is about average for my LQS. It's a great shop, the owner is super helpful and I do try to shop there when I can, but that's not often. And I doubt there's really a huge profit margin for them either. I believe the owner was actually talking to me about how as fuel prices rose, fabric prices did too because of the cost of transport, etc. Also that prices could vary regionally because of that (less or more trucking required, etc.).

I'm jealous of those that are finding fabric at thrift stores! I don't tend to see any at mine. Estate sales either.
Old 05-14-2015, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose View Post
That is exactly why I shop online! Connecting Threads has collection prints starting at $5.96/yd.
Me too. I will only pay that kind of price in an emergency.
Old 05-14-2015, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by sophiebernina View Post
Oh, if only it were that cheap in the UK!
Aye!!!
$13 equates to about £8.50 at the current exchange rate.

An average price for average fabric in my area would be £13 per yard.

I have a strict rule these days to only buy fabric when its on sale lol.

My local shop used to put their end-of-bolt remnants into a bin at half price, but on fortunately in the last year or so they've discovered the big market for fat quarters, so now every end is cut down and sold at full price as a fq, so no more cheap remnants

Last edited by Siodach; 05-14-2015 at 02:51 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-14-2015, 03:01 AM

I do try to support my LQS but more often than not it doesn't have what I want- spoiled by the selection at online stores. There are also some excellent sellers on eBay. Do try to start with my stash when beginning a new project.
Old 05-14-2015, 03:26 AM

www.whittlesfabrics.com has a lot of fabric at a good price. And have ordered from them and was very happy.
Old 05-14-2015, 03:29 AM

I buy very little at full price. Our LQS is an amazing place, but I usually just shop in the scrap bins, where I find some awesome deals. I teach a class there, so get a small discount on full priced purchases, but still prefer to shop the clearance section. My stash ( a 4 drawer dresser) is mainly remnants and clearance fabrics purchased from JAF. We are also fortunate to have SR Harris, a fabric outlet within 30 minutes. It's a warehouse setting, which can be overwhelming, but if you look at it as an adventure, it's fun. Also all fabrics are half price, so roughly $6 per yard. You may not find the newest collections, but I found full lines of Amy Butler last time I was there, and at that price, so worth it.
The rest of my stash is LQS quality fat quarters that I've purchased from garage sales. Mostly $1 each. My tastes are changing, so I need to use up some of that so I can replenish with newer fabric. So much fabric, so little time!

Last edited by Kris P; 05-14-2015 at 03:32 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-14-2015, 03:46 AM

A few years ago when the fabric prices started to soar from $8 - $9 a yard to $12 - $13 the increase was justified due to the high price of cotton. Well, cotton prices have been down for about a year.

I'm afraid LQS will put themselves out of business. I have noticed that many featured projects at LQS are totes, pillow cases & table runners that can be made with just a few yards of fabric.
Old 05-14-2015, 03:47 AM

How fortunate you are to get fabric at that price. In comparison, it costs about $26 per metre ,on average, for us. Many shops only stock $35 - $75 per metre in the next city to mine so I don't bother to make the trip.
Old 05-14-2015, 03:52 AM

Here in Australia we pay upwards of double that per metre...$26... some times there are bargains around....Darlene