Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
$13 a yard???? >

$13 a yard????

$13 a yard????

Old 05-13-2015, 08:14 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
We are supposed to wash our quilts? I wash mine maybe Once a year or longer intervals. But we are adults and have a no pet on the bed rule.

sandy
I know you didn't mean to be sarcastic. My Sis in law washed hers once a week like her sheets. She told me that. She does let her labs and cats sleep on them.
That is what I was talking about. I wash mine once a year also, because I make them and know how much work goes into making them.
My pets sleep in their own beds.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:23 AM
Power Poster

If you call Marshall's and ask to be put on Sharon's email list you will get emails with pictures of all the new fabric lines coming in. You can call and order what you want. But reps sell only by the bolt. You will get the same email the shop owners get.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:28 AM

Well up here in Northern Ontario the normal price I pay is $14 a yard and some times a little more . I am always amazed when I see some of the prices in the States . If I could get fabric that cheap id have a room full . And probably be divorced LOL.
Tom
Old 05-13-2015, 08:34 AM

Everything in getting more expensive. I usually shop from my stash but will purchase fabric if I need it to finish a quilt. I do buy from the LQS -- I want them to stay in business too!
Old 05-13-2015, 08:41 AM
Power Poster

if I don't have a coupon, I don't get it. My cousin just got back from Great Britain/UK. She bought some fabric and paid I believe almost $30 for a yard. Got it for her niece and it was a certain kind but that would be the only reason I would pay anything close to that and the only reason she did. It's coupons and estate/garage sales and thrift shops or stay home. cut my own clothes up.
Old 05-13-2015, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by sval View Post
Are you ladies talking about Marshall's Clothing Store?
Wasn't aware they sell fabric.
I'm wondering the same thing! I just called a Marshall's here (Columbus, Ohio) and he said they're a clothing store with some "home goods" but no fabric. Are there two different companies with same name?
Old 05-13-2015, 10:12 AM
ro
Banned

as with everything in this world, "you get what you pay for." if I'm putting in my time I want the thing to last. not fall apart in a few years.
Old 05-13-2015, 10:41 AM

I am fortunate to live in an area where we have quite a few choices for fabric stores. There are not only several LQS w/in an hour drive in any direction, there are also Mennonite stores.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Come visit the Finger Lakes! It's beautiful, lots of things to do and see, and for quilters, lots of stores. At LQS, prices locally range from $8 - $11/yd. The store with mostly $11/yd prices also has a very large sale selection at all times. Mennonite store pricing is lower, but no "ambiance." Prices there are about $2 or $3, at least, less per yard.

I don't often buy backing; when I do it is from the Mennonite stores where it is $11 or $12/yd. Usually I piece mine from sale fabric.

I do suppose it's just a matter of time until those prices creep up to $13 on a regular basis; like everything else, the prices just go up. If that's standard pricing in your area, I'd be shopping online pretty much exclusively.

As far as what the store carries, most stores have to find their niche to be successful. We have one that focuses on orientals, one that carries a lot of moderns, one that is mostly CW - but all carry at least a bit of other styles so there is something for everyone.
Old 05-13-2015, 10:53 AM

I love the 1930's reproduction prints. I have bought a lot from Ebay. One seller always has it for $7.99 a yard with free shipping, no minimum. We have Hobby Lobby and I use my coupon there or at Hancock Fabrics.
Old 05-13-2015, 12:24 PM

Early on I was involved in a fabric square exchange, and was incensed that people said, "No chain store fabric." I didn't realize the difference in quality between the big chain stores' fabric and the fabric in LQS...but wow, I certainly understand it now! The chain stores' fabric, at low prices, is harsher to touch, and much, much thinner than the LQS fabric. While I wait for special sales when I can, I do think it's worth the LQS prices for fabric. Our LQS had all 44" fabric at $6/yd last Black Friday from 6am to 7am...I bought a lot then!! And other local quilt stores give 30% off on the 30th, or a 20% discount on your birthday...

Notions--rulers, needles, etc.--I'll get with coupons at the chain stores. Thread: used to go Coates and Clark, but am gradually changing to Mettler, Gutterman, King Tut because those seem to tangle less, break less, and create much less lint. I bought cheap cone thread once...gave it away. That was awful stuff.