Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
*****CURVED PEICING GURU WANTED***** >

*****CURVED PEICING GURU WANTED*****

*****CURVED PEICING GURU WANTED*****

Old 06-18-2011, 10:25 PM

BAH HUM BUG....I have been been working on this curved piecing doo-dah all flippin night. I am pretty convinced its not for me. Can you sense my utter frustration?? Ive already seen the tips here on the board, I try it, doesnt work that way for me. Any NEW tips??? ideas????thoughts???? I have tried this magical foot I bought, doesnt work any better than my 1/4" foot with guide. HELLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPP MEEEEEEE, PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE:(
Old 06-19-2011, 12:27 AM

are you using templates to cut out your pieces? Or paper templates like out of a magazine?
Old 06-19-2011, 12:56 AM

I also have the curved foot attachment and still can't use it( I must be gadget challenged), Anyway, for me I start my 1/4 seam, and slightly lift the unsewn pieces just befor the pressure foot and guide them through. This way is very time consuming but it works for me. Maybe some of the more creative quilters on here have a better solution.
Old 06-19-2011, 01:02 AM
Administrator

see if this helps

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-4260-1.htm
Old 06-19-2011, 01:45 AM
Power Poster

really need to know just what you are doing- and what is not working for you in order to help.
i do lots of curved piecing, but need to know just what kind of curves you are working with-
could you post pics showing where your problems are occuring? if we saw what you were doing we could probably help.
if working on drunkard path's or NYB blocks--the concave piece needs to be on top (the outer curve-on top the inner curve) ( =convex )=concave concave piece on top of convex piece- match centers and outside edges. then lots of pins distributing evenly along the curve. stitch slowly, removing pins as you go along- stopping every few inches, with needle down- pivot a little then continue-

i hope this helps a bit- pictures, specific questions and we can help further.
Old 06-19-2011, 02:21 AM
Google Goddess

thanks for the link

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
Old 06-19-2011, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by suebee
BAH HUM BUG....I have been been working on this curved piecing doo-dah all flippin night. I am pretty convinced its not for me. Can you sense my utter frustration?? Ive already seen the tips here on the board, I try it, doesnt work that way for me. Any NEW tips??? ideas????thoughts???? I have tried this magical foot I bought, doesnt work any better than my 1/4" foot with guide. HELLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPP MEEEEEEE, PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE:(
I understand your frustration. It was the same way for me. Then I signed up for a class on curved seams from a friend of mine. It was a big "a ha" moment for me. I kept thinking about the two pieces as one seam. Her method had us piecing curves w/ no pins (really!!!) in no time. Look at them as several smaller seams. Line up the corners, right sides together, and take a couple of stitches. With the needle down, lift the presser foot and bring the edges of the material together again. Take another few stitches. The whole time, keep the edge of the fabric hitting the edge of the presser foot. Here's a pic of some apple cores I put together trying this method out. I didn't use any pins. This was done after one class. It's not the fastest method, but it is quite accurate (and did I mention no pinning??? LOL). Also, I didn't have to clip any of the seam allowances. Take a couple steps back from your project, maybe work on something else for a while, then go back to it. Practice is the only way.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-213679.jpe   attachment-213680.jpe  
Old 06-19-2011, 05:34 AM
Power Poster

Well Done Meemers!

I did an Apple Core Table Runner course a few years ago for the same reason ... to learn more about doing curved seams. Another tip is to mark the centre of the two pieces so you can match them. If a longer curve, then match at 1/4 or more often. Just do it by folding and use the crease, or a fine line ..... or pins!

I learned it was something NOT to do if my patience level was low. And yet, found it to be very relaxing to sit and sew, not trying to win a race!!! In no time the runner was together ... then it sat, as I feared the quilting part more. Alas, done!!!!! :)

Apple Core Table Runner
[ATTACH=CONFIG]213708[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-213702.jpe  
Old 06-19-2011, 05:35 AM

I use tweezers to 'match the edges' as I stitch.......... works great for me.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by tammy cosper
are you using templates to cut out your pieces? Or paper templates like out of a magazine?
Im using a template.