Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
*cry*   My sewing machine  :( >

*cry* My sewing machine :(

*cry* My sewing machine :(

Old 02-27-2010, 08:57 AM

Ok, so this is starting to be a pattern, not just a random problem.

So, around this time last year, I was finishing up quilting one of my quilts, and my machine started to slow down and eventually stopped entirely, in like, 10 seconds. It's pretty hard to describe, but the whole thing is stiff now. I could barely turn the wheel at the side of the machine to manually move the needle, and I was so frustrated because I seriously had like, 15 seconds of stitching left on my quilt before I finished quilting it. I tried rethreading it, checking the bobbin, changing it, blowing the dust out, EVERYTHING I could think of and nothing worked so I brought it to the sewing machine repair shop.
In the mean time, I had decided to buy a new machine, which I had to order anyway, but I did get the new one a little before getting the old one back from the repair shop. When the shop called me to go pick up the machine, I went and brought it home, tested it, and put it away, since I like the new machine better anyway. I took out my old machine once for my mother to use briefly this fall, and it was put back in it's place downstairs.
Then on Tuesday, my mother came over so I could help her make a quilt, and we had both machines out and were using them all afternoon. There was more cutting and measuring and fussing than sewing on my mother's part, so it's not like the machine was running for 3 hours either, but just when we were finishing up the quilting once again, my mahine froze up!
It started slowing down and then just stopped entirely, I don't know what's going on here and it's driving me crazy. I got it fixed a year ago for the same problem, and this week was the first time we really used it, and it's broken again? Doesn't make sense! And, it's not because my mother doesn't know how to use the machine, it was hers for 35 years before she gave it to me, and she only had to have it serviced once, after the basement flooded -and even then, no water touched the machine, but our insurance paid to have it serviced just in case.

Does anyone else know what I'm taking about or has had this problem before? Should I bring the machine to have it serviced elsewhere, or bring it back to the original place and tell them it obviously wasn't 'fixed' if it broke again the first time it was used?

BTW, my machine is a Kenmore model 1774.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:11 AM
Power Poster

It could be that it is in need of oiling, or some thread or fuzz has jammed/wound itself around in the inside. The other thing that could be is that it is overheating the oil and cooking it.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:22 AM

How frustrating!
I think I'd take it back to where it was fixed, and tell them they need to look again! ;)
Maybe Billy will see this post, and have some ideas of what it could be.
:)
Old 02-27-2010, 09:25 AM
Power Poster

I have had an old machine freeze up but I could turn the wheel enough to get it free again. I would call the repairman that fixed it last and ask him what was the cause of it happening before. If he hems haws around about it, take it to another repairman.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:26 AM

Is it "worth" fixing? Considering the hourly rate and maybe the cost of parts it may not be worth it, especially if it's an older, basic machine. If you look at the receipt, you should see how long the maintenance warranty is good for. For me, when I took my machine in to be fixed the problem reappeared soon afterwards. I was able to take it back in and the re-fixed it for free as the maintenance was good for 90 days. But, if you've had it in storage for 4-6 mos. the dealer will most likely charge you.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:28 AM

mine which is a brother had something simuliar happen and when I had it serviced (they guy didn't know what he was doing) didn't fix it right (6 months before this happened) anyhow it needed oiling, grease and a bearing was coming out of it's housing. Thread goobers by pulling the thread out from the starting point because it wasnt'cut and pulled out from the needle but I doubt that is the problem. Good luck
Old 02-27-2010, 09:29 AM

Does the pedal seem normal? I'm wondering if something gets loose in it and you aren't getting the "gas" it should. Those old Kemores are pretty indestructable.. I'd shake the pedal and try again, just to rule that out.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:30 AM

I know it isn't much consolation but I am really glad you have another sewing machine to use. Like one of the previous posts, maybe it's time to retire this one. Service on machines can be very costly. (Although, thinking about it, I might go back to the same service person and complain since apparently they did not "fix" the problem. You said it had hardly been used since buying a new machine.)

Just a thought....
Old 02-27-2010, 09:47 AM

Exactly my point, I haven't used it until this week. I understand that repairs are usually only good for so many months, but I can't help but feel scammed, since I paid for a repair that wasn't actually done properly.

This is an older machine, but it was *not* cheap when it was bought, and it has tons of attatchements and feet and all those embroidery stitch cams.

Also, the pedal does seem normal, the motor turns, but it doesn't make the needle go up and down anymore, and i'm barely able to move it with the wheel :(
Old 02-27-2010, 09:59 AM

I just called the store, and they're only open Monday to Friday :(