Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
1/4" seam allowance >

1/4" seam allowance

1/4" seam allowance

Old 01-16-2011, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
Leave it!! The slight bit that is not "lost" in your seam allowance will actually visually make your points sharper in the finished quilt. I always plan my similar blocks this way, on purpose. I call it "float".

Jan in VA
I knew there was a name for it...LOL!! That's what I was trying to think of! It is called a "floating" point or something.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:04 PM

I totally agree that as long as ALL blocks are consistent, then it doesn't look like a mistake. If all were this way, I would have though you did it intentionally.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:07 PM

It looks like when you made the block your seams were just a little bigger than a 1/4 inch. If you measure the distance from the point to the edge of the seam it should be 1/4 inch. Then when you sew it to the next block it will have the point right at the edge of the block. If all of them are made, I would say just put them together and don't worry about it as long as they are all the same. If some are different size seam allowances you could run into trouble as it gets bigger.
Sometimes it's just a slight adjustment to your sewing line that can make all the difference. Do you think it would help to have someone else measure them and see if they are actually 1/4 inch? I know that is what helped me.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:16 PM

Thanks everyone. I really do appreciate all the feedback. I think I'll tackle it again in the morning. The first border has flying geese blocks and I need to make sure that they're all going to fit. Of course, it's for my DGD and she isn't going to care about the points. Just trying to figure out where I'm going wrong so the next quilt will be better.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:20 PM

Well be sure and post a pic when you finish 'cause it looks BEAUTIFUL!!!
Old 01-16-2011, 09:23 PM

I wouldn't do anything it looks great.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:27 PM

Sometimes when I go over a seam my machine goes off a little. Maybe that is happening with you. Check where seams have several seams meeting.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:43 PM

Right now that seam you're showing there is so perfectly straight and exactly reveals the little pink border around Snow White. if you turn those two blocks back, face to face in the sewing position, do the opposite sides line up? If they're supposed to and they don't, then you'd have to deal with it before going on. It seems to me that the crucial measurement would be across the diagonal of the pink squares. If that's the 8 1/2 inches that you're wanting in your finished dimension, then trimming the seam area down to 1/4" will make sense. If that pretty Snow White block next to it is currently the size it's supposed to be and the other block matches up with it, then it not only seems unecessary to change anything, but would actually mess up the size of the block to do so.

I love your colors. Some very lucky little girl will be getting that one, no doubt.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:18 PM
QM
Power Poster

Good attitude, pretty quilt.

At one time, my seams were off because I didn't realize that 1/4" means from the center of the seam to the outermost threads of the allowances. That's why they call it "scant", a rather silly term, IMHO.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:46 AM

Leave it. I love the 'float' idea. Beautiful ccolours.