Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
1/4" seams-Newbie's request for help.. >

1/4" seams-Newbie's request for help..

1/4" seams-Newbie's request for help..

Old 01-29-2009, 09:13 AM

Newbie request for help.....

For some reason I am having a horrible time maintaining 1/4 inch seams. Anyone have an tricks they might share. I have even resorted to placing a piece of tape on my machine... did not work lol. I have a Brother NX 400 - Seems silly I know, but it is very frustrating for me.

TIA

anne
Old 01-29-2009, 09:19 AM

It is frustrating, isn't it. You could buy a 1/4 foot. Or, measure 1/4 inch away from your needle and place a stack of sticky notes to use as a guide. If you do a search on this board, you'll find some great tips. Alot of us have the same problem!
Old 01-29-2009, 09:25 AM

The easiest thing for me was to buy a 1/4 inch foot.
Good luck.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:28 AM
Administrator

Get ready for a flood of advice. :lol:

You're going to hear about special 1/4" feet for your machine, various other gadgets and gizmos guaranteed to guide you to the "sweet spot" and keep you there, plus any number of other tips and techniques for getting and staying on that straight and narrow seam line.

every bit of advice you'll get will be valid and useful because the person who shares it will have found that particular foot, gizmo, gadget, tip or technique to have worked well for her/him.

all of it will have work for somebody, but nothing works for every person or on every machine. (oh yeah ... machines have "issues" and quirks just like people do. every time i switch from one machine to another, i have to take some time "learning how to sew" all over again. annoying, but necessary.)

there's one very important thing i've recently realized we usually leave out when this subject comes up. it is, i think, the single most important thing of all. once you pick the thing(s) that work for you ... haul out a stack of scraps and PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE.

don't get discouraged. before you know it, you'll be zinging through them quarter-inchers like a pro - and giving advice to the next person who asks. :mrgreen:
Old 01-29-2009, 09:30 AM

I discovered a magnetic Quilter's Seam Guide by Dritz Quilting it was less then $2.00 @ joann's. All you do is measure where you want it and it will "stick" in to place. it gives you a wall to keep your fabric aginst while you sew. It is working great for me and the added plus is it is adjustable to what ever seam allowance you want.

Happy quilting.
G
Old 01-29-2009, 09:34 AM

Using a 1/4" foot w/ guide is like having the angels descend from the heavens as the clouds part and a heavenly chorus signs Ode To Joy.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:41 AM

Are you using a quilting foot? I checked on the web - there is a one quarter inch quilting foot available for your machine. Some quilting feet even have a vertical guide attached at the exact one quarter spot.

If you are not using a quilting foot, does your machine have a clear wide foot that has lines on it?If so you could place your tape in front and behind the foot so you can line up your piece and see what you are doing.

I found when I was starting that speed was my enemy. I am sure others will have more recommendations but my best suggestion is

Take a deep breath, take it slow and enjoy. Good Luck.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:12 AM

I am at work but I think g the J foot is what I am using. That foot was on the machine when I purchased it. I am going to try and attach a list of the accessories so you can see which foot that is. Thanks everyone for your helpful hints. I might go to Joanns after work tomorrow and see if I can find the quilter's seam guide.

Thanks again!

hugs,
anne
Attached Thumbnails attachment-67713.jpe  
Old 01-29-2009, 10:22 AM
Power Poster

When I found the 1/4 foot with guide that fit my machine I was in piecing heaven. It's a no brainer, the guide does all the work. One thing to remember in piecing is not let the bottom few stitches veer from a straight line.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:24 AM
Power Poster

I didn't see a 1/4 foot in your list. That will be the name of the foot you are needing.