Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 1/4" Walking foot????

kenmore puts out an open toe walking foot. It is a jewel to use as you can see where you are sewing. I really like it!!! mary

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by auntluc
    It seams like I was the only one that didn't know the right side of the walking foot was a 1/4".... :oops:
    not true. this question comes up quite often.

the only reason i know my walking feet have good 1/4" reference points is that i tested several of my different feet one evening so i could answer a similar question based on the results.

It sure does exist. See your sewing machine dealer and ask for one. They sure come in hand.

Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    i line up the edge of the fabric with the edge of the rectangular hole. perfect 1/4".
    Thank you Patrice for this post.
    I just pieced a quilt top using my walking foot instead of a 1/4" foot..I had better results in the beginning and ending of each seam. I put my needle in the down position, placed my fabric right up to the needle, lined up the edge of my fabric with the rectangular hole in the walking foot, held onto the thread ends when I started and got perfect 1/4" seams.
    The walking foot also solved the problem of my fabric ends not matching when I got to the end of a seam.
    This is probably the best quilting tip I've gotten...I think I'll always piece my tops using my walking foot.

that would be so awesome. I've not yet purchased the 1/4 inch foot because masking tape works great for me but I'd LOVE to have that for sure!!!!!!

Patrice, if you know anyone who needs one like that in your post, please let me know. Someone bought me one and it doesn't fit my machine so it's brand new.

When teaching FDIL to quilt, I used blue painters tape- not so sticky but bright enough for her to line up the fabric.

I like my walking foot for binding. It goes on soooo nice!

Barb

oh, I also use it when I'm squaring up my blocks. I put it on the finished size and line it up. Makes it easy as it stops your vision from continuing on the block and measuring lines.

I bought a generic one like that for my Necchi, but it doesn't fit my Singer. Guess I'll have to break down and buy a new one.

Can you adjust your needle position? I found that if I moved my needle to the right, then the inside edge of the walking foot was one 1/4 inch. This works well for me!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2