Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
#1 secret to good bindings >

#1 secret to good bindings

#1 secret to good bindings

Old 11-29-2011, 05:56 AM

I agree with "Dollyo" I vowed that I will learn to make "Perfect Miltered Corners" on my quilts. I also watched Sharon Schambers You Tube Tutorial, and it's the best. I listened to it four times, took notes, and my quilt corners came out Perfect. She is the greatest....I now, have a note in the walking foot box for quick referral. However, I haven't finished a large quilt, to have to deal with the weight issue. I may invest in the $4.00 tool that was mentioned too. Try the You Tube website, you'll be amazed.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:59 AM

The You Tube website that I viewed or spoke of was "How To Make Perfect Miltered Corners" by Sharon Schambers
Old 11-29-2011, 06:28 AM

I use a large square ruler to cut/even the corners. The top should not have to be cut, as it should be square. If it's not, them perhaps the rest of the top has problems also. It all starts with making accurate templates or cutting strips accurately. Then seam allowances must be even. Yes, it takes time, but eliminates problems all the way through construction. I cut the batt and backing ¼ inch wider so that the top is ¼ inch in. That way, when I pin the binding in place, its raw edge matches with the top and the batt and backing extend ¼ inch. After the binding is stitched in place, it's rolled to the back and the binding is filled with batt and not empty and flat.
SandyQuilter
Old 11-29-2011, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by EasyPeezy View Post
I found this little gadget very handy when I'm sewing binding on my quilts. Takes the guesswork out for stopping at each corner. If anyone has problems with their miters they should get one. I try to avoid a lot of gadgets but this one I like and would highly recommend. (No affiliation with the maker or anything).
http://www.connectingthreads.com/too...r__D81892.html

Here's the video on how to use the tool. I found it fascinating and it looks like it works great. Another tool to add to my wishlist.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:57 AM

Thanks, I will give this method a try. My seams at the beginning and end always end up wonky.

Suzy
Old 11-29-2011, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Dollyo View Post
I've found the secret to good bindings is Elmer's School Glue. I learned the technique from Sharon Schamber's youtube videos. It makes doing bindings a breeze. I use the technique to match patterns. I love striped bindings and this enables you to match the stripes on the bias perfectly. Here are the links to the 3 videos.
Binding the Angel - Part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PE0Yq9iGlc
Binding the Angel - Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3vHI...eature=related
Binding the Angel - Part 3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W--xg...eature=related
Hope this helps.
Dolly
Thank you for the links to the videos, Dolly. I just watched and found them really interesting. Now to get some glue!
Old 11-29-2011, 07:30 AM

I don't usually have a problem with my miters it is the ending part that always gives me the problem. I even went to my local quilt shop and had a personal demo & I still can't get it. I know what to do & how to do it but every time I do my tails get turned and I get frustrated and give up and go back to the old way of doing it.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:35 AM

When you stop at 1/4 inch from the corner if you turn the quilt for your next side just backsew off the quilt. Then pull the quilt out enough to fold your binding over then sew that edge. I have never had a problem doing it this way.
You can also use the method where you sew off the corner at an angle but I prefer the back stitch off best.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by judykay View Post
I don't usually have a problem with my miters it is the ending part that always gives me the problem. I even went to my local quilt shop and had a personal demo & I still can't get it. I know what to do & how to do it but every time I do my tails get turned and I get frustrated and give up and go back to the old way of doing it.
LOL! I know what you mean. I put binding on two quilts this week. The first one, the ending was perfect the first time. The second one I had to re-do 4 times because I kept twisting it. Go figure!!
Old 11-29-2011, 02:00 PM

Thanks for this timely tip, Holice! You must have been reading my mind (what's left of it).