Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: 10 minute block variation question

10 minute block variation question

I have seen videos of the 10 minute block and I have made blocks. I have also seen here on the board and on the internet where people use a larger inner block to make the diamond in the middle larger. I like that idea, but I can't find instructions on how to do it

Does anyone here know where there is tutorial on using a larger block for the center of a 10 minute block?

Thanks

Blog Entries
    The instructions I've seen start with 5 squares all the same size. Wouldn't you just use a larger square for the center? I would just experiment with some 'what was I thinking' fabric'. Start by using a center sqare 1" larger than the outside squares. If you use a long stitch length, you can easily remove your stitching & reuse the patches. Then just keep adding 1" to the center block until you achieve the look you are going for.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

I was thinking that.. but the bigger block would hang off I agree I can experiment... but I like tutorials

Quote Originally Posted by meyert View Post
    I was thinking that.. but the bigger block would hang off I agree I can experiment... but I like tutorials
    Since it is based on 5 squares all the same size, one could just make them smaller or larger as one desires. For example one could use all five 3 inch squares or all five 7 inch squares.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
    Janey & John

Quote Originally Posted by meyert View Post
    I have seen videos of the 10 minute block and I have made blocks. I have also seen here on the board and on the internet where people use a larger inner block to make the diamond in the middle larger. I like that idea, but I can't find instructions on how to do it

Does anyone here know where there is tutorial on using a larger block for the center of a 10 minute block?

Thanks
    10 minute block? Is there a tutorial on it? I would love to make a block in 10 minutes!

I have made the 10 min block w/the center almost double the size of the other 4 blocks. I doubled it then subtracted a half inch. I have also just did it at 1 & a half times the size so as to git a bigger center but it still floated. I hope this makes since to ya.
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

Liz / Calgary

Quote Originally Posted by Liz92B View Post
    Thanks! I will practice it. It looks like a neat idea!

Quote Originally Posted by dublb View Post
    I have made the 10 min block w/the center almost double the size of the other 4 blocks. I doubled it then subtracted a half inch. I have also just did it at 1 & a half times the size so as to git a bigger center but it still floated. I hope this makes since to ya.
    this sounds like what I have in mind, but how do you manage the extra? do you just center the excess on either side of the 2 blocks?Name:  2018-06-27 11_57_56-Book1 - Excel.png
Views: 1477
Size:  550.1 KB

I enjoy this quilter's videos. She is so down to earth and loves to teach beginners as well as more advanced. She also has a great sense of humor. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8HIb1tX9iE&t=619s

I have a book, still haven't made it.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

She doesn't show you how to make the large one. I would take four of the finished blocks, cut a neutral square the size of one of those blocks, and continue to make the large block just as you made the small blocks.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Visually, the center block might need to be twice the size of the other 4.
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2TuDpcJcPY This video shows how Jean uses the smaller 10 minute blocks and makes a larger block. Interesting and makes a beautiful quilt.

Thanks for the question and reminder. Once I looked at the video, I realized I have that book!

mac
    This block pattern came out a very long time ago and was originally used to do the faux bowtie quilt so you wouldn't have to sew a 'Y" seam. The bowtie look was made by using 2 different colors. Three blocks were all of one fabric and 2 blocks were a contrasting fabric. When you sewed them together it would look like a bowtie.

Although they are easy enough to put together, I was never very enthusiastic about the center block. However, in the video above, I liked the way that she sewed the center block down straight or curved it like the cathedral window block.

I may just give
    this
    technique further consideration for a future quilt. It is very fast to do and the larger blocks would certainly use up a lot of fabric really fast and become a large quilt even faster than normal. I'm thinking it might be fun doing it in a sort of controlled scrappy-like quilt.

mac
    Quote Originally Posted by pewa88 View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2TuDpcJcPY This video shows how Jean uses the smaller 10 minute blocks and makes a larger block. Interesting and makes a beautiful quilt.
    I just watched Jean's video. What a great teacher; she is most impressive, as she can talk, think and sew all at the same time and doesn't skip a beat! She is so enthusiastic.

I was even more impressed that she took that simple bowtie block and upscaled it to a fabulous block. I will definitely have do this pattern in the future.

Gay
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dublb View Post
    Bevs' advice is correct. This is an image of the first step if you follow her directions.

Name:  10 min block.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  4.7 KB

Meyert : What did you use to save the clip from the video?
    Last edited by Gay; 06-29-2018 at 05:33 PM.

Thanks.. your input did help

to get the shot from the video I have a program on my work computer that captures screen shots and then you can save as a jpeg file... sorry I forget what the program is called. I am at home now and I don't have that program (it is pretty handy)