Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
15 reasons for not changing needle >

15 reasons for not changing needle

15 reasons for not changing needle

Old 07-27-2012, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by PenniF View Post
ok....all these admissions....i just have to know....anyone else ever sewed your finger into the seam.....just the tiniest little bit of skin, right by the nail...don't even feel it til you go to move your hand and you're stitched to the quilt? no blood, no pain.... thankfully i haven't done it in a long time .... ok dang ! now i've jinxed myself !!!
Yes. I know, I have done that too! I feel so stupid when that happens. You would think I'd have learned the first time. lol
Old 07-27-2012, 01:53 PM

been there, done that!
Old 07-27-2012, 03:20 PM
Power Poster

Sounds like my day - decided to be nice and change the needle on my machine, can't remember when I last put a new one in, although I haven't quilted for nearly 6 months due to a ruptured disk in my neck, surgery and rehab. Anyhoo, put the new needle in, spent 15 minutes trying to thread needle, was doing the last bit of top stitching to a Bow Tucks handle, and yup - ran out of bobbin thread. Filled the bobbin again, then of course had to spend another 11 minutes re-threading the needle, etc.,etc., got a phone call - well at least I finished topstitching the handle - tomorrow is another day. LOL
Old 07-27-2012, 04:35 PM

Those kind of days seem to happen more often as I get older.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:13 PM

Well - ditto, ditto, ditto. My machine does "yell" at me when I leave the pressure foot up and try and sew; the icon on the setting window does flash if my thread breaks, but not when the needle isn't threaded, or when the bobbin runs out. Of course, the bobbin thread on my machine usually runs out a few inches before finishing what ever I was sewing - or just as I have made the perfect miter on one of the binding corners. You would think with all the technology someone out there would figure out how to build a dsm that would hold a larger bobbin and figure out how to put a light in the bobbin area so you could really see how much thread was left without having to take your fabric completely out from under the pressure foot. When I get to the point where I am having to undo/re-do whatever at the machine - I turn it off and walk away for awhile - usually to go and read for awhile (preferably with chocolate of some sort close to hand or a cup of coffee - or I do some hand work. Oh ya - if I drop a needle or a pin on the floor, DH's bare foot is usually the one that finds it. Kinda like he always got the bay leaf in his spagetti and meatballs!
Old 07-28-2012, 03:40 AM

I'm so glad you had some chocolate on hand! Nothing solves problems like chocolate!!!
Old 07-28-2012, 05:09 AM

sounds like something I would do. you started my day off with a good laugh, thanks and I will try not tr repeat what you did, as I have done before myself, many times
Old 07-28-2012, 05:14 AM

ditto, ditto........
Old 07-28-2012, 05:29 AM

Now that is funny! I have to admit I've done something similar but not with that many. Gave me a good chuckle this morning.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:43 AM

Done that! Also sewed most of the first long strip on a 1600 in quilt without bobbin thread. Didn't even notice until I was almost at the end of that looooong seam!