Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
15 waiting to be quilted...yikes! >

15 waiting to be quilted...yikes!

15 waiting to be quilted...yikes!

Old 09-17-2013, 04:06 AM

One of the quilt teachers I had said there are three ways to quilt- by hand, by machine, and by check and she preferred the latter. Some thoughts. If some of them are charity quilts, I bet others would be willing to quilt. I use vintage machines, and have one set up for piecing, one for large quilting, one for lap quilting. So I just play musical chairs and move to a another machine without having to br rethreaded, etc. for quilting. You can quilt between piecing without moving everything. My vintage machines cost less than a new one (sold the new one). Also, if you get together with a guild or friends, you can buy batting on a roll and split it for a lot less. I buy closeouts fabric for the backs, like $3.00 a yard when I see an online sale. Just what works for me.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:07 AM

I am the total opposite, I love long arming but even though I have been piecing for 40 years, I totally am piecing challenged. I love applique and paperpiecing because I dont need to worry about whether it is a scant 1/4 inch or a regular one. Just put the quilt on my long arm and it talks to me, and put some music on, and I can work on that for hours.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:14 AM

I like doing all aspects of the craft when I have the time. Unfortunately, this past summer didn't lend much time for it, as I'm working almost full time, and DH planted a humongous garden this year...mostly green beans, potatoes (which yet have to be dug) VERY prolific zucchini, pumpkins (which are the earlier pie and nearly ripe) and, of course, tomatoes...Did I mention I'm tired of canning and want at my sewing machine?
Old 09-17-2013, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by MargeD View Post
I love the piecing and I don't mind the quilting - but I HATE sandwiching the quilt for some reason. If we hadn't moved 3 years ago I may have done more quilts as I have a friend who is willing to help me sandwich quilts. Guess we'll just have to set a day aside to get together to sandwich quilts. It's so much easier with someone else to help and the table space to spread the quilts out. Unfortunately, when we moved I had to give up my very large former dining room table which was a great size to sandwich quilts. Oh well.
I totally agree - sandwiching is much less tedious when done with others. I belong to a group that meets in a place with large tables and many of us pitch in to help each other sandwich. Nevertheless, I still am slow in quilting my pinned projects - am never satisfied with my quilting although it has gotten better.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:26 AM

You did good. You have two quilted before you cut the next top out. When you get the new top done, you need to get two more quilted. Before you know it, the pile will half the size it was. I have that problem with tops started and not finished. I now will get two of my started project done then I can start a new pattern. I have cut my UFOs down, and hope to get more done this winter. I also like the idea of have a new BBF of a LAQ, who does not like to piece. You both could win. Good luck and keep going.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:27 AM

Do what makes you happy, or at least set a realistic goal that you can still have fun with piecing and not do too many quilting projects in between. No quilting police at the end of the projects either!
Old 09-17-2013, 07:24 AM

I am still pretty new at this, so seeing a finished product is a big deal for me. I had two tops that were waiting their turn to be sandwiched and quilted - One will be finished this weekend because it is for my husband and the nights are starting to get chilly, and the other will continue to sit until I come up with a quilting idea, or need it for something. It would be very easy to start piling up tops!
Old 09-17-2013, 08:08 AM

One word-MSQC!! I love to piece but hate to quilt so I have been sending my tops to MSQC-they are inexpensive, fast and I don't have to worry about it anymore. I beat you by about 4 tops-with three cut and in the que to be sewn.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:51 AM

I am with you, I love to try new patterns and can't seem to find the time to quilt them, planning on working this winter, just counted and have 22.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:34 PM
Power Poster

Why don't you just jump in and get started? You might find it's not as bad as the dread. You can always quilt really simply by using a walking foot and doing a simple cross hatch all over, or straight lines up and down. Or a big squiggle meander all over. I saw some quilts for sale at a flea market and the meander was really huge. The quilts were soft and cuddly.

Piecing is artistry, but quilts get their personality from the quilting!

Just think of all the Christmas gifts you will have!