Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
1930's Quilt Question >

1930's Quilt Question

1930's Quilt Question

Old 07-10-2011, 07:19 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by joycet
Thanks QuiltE for helping me solve my problem. LOL I am the process of making a Dresden Plate quilt. Well I do have the first plate ALMOST together!!! I need more Oriental fabrics. I intended to applique it on black fabric but since the plates are darker in color I've changed my mind. I think off white or maybe a light beige. I had thought what to do with the inside of the plates. I really didn't like the circle...nor putting a yo-yo in the center. I just couldn't think of anymore things to do. Then you mentioned about your mother's quilt. I love the idea!!!! Thanks for the help again!!!
You're Welcome!! Glad that it has helped you think thru what could work. The quilting on it is lovely, while not exceptional, to me, it's a more intricate design than what we often see done now. Sometime I want to make a Dresden Plate myself, and somewhat copy the whole design/style of Mom's. Have some fabric that would work, but am currently using it in a vintage style Basket quilt .... so will not re-purpose it, til the other quilt is totally done!
Old 07-10-2011, 07:22 AM
Power Poster

I would leave it like it is.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:26 AM

Thanks, everyone, for the input! I can see I wasn't entirely clear in my post.... I just have the plates, no top. My mom has another quilt that she had someone put together for her - they just had the blocks and the contemporary quilter put them on muslin, which is where I got that idea. The plates have so many different print fabrics I thought I would need to use a solid color to applique them on. The plates also already have yellow centers that have been hand-stitched in. So... after reading the posts here, I'm thinking about compiling your suggestions and appliqueing the plates on to the muslin, then removing the original basting stitches before doing the quilting with batting and backing. Or, I could use the musline for the backing and use another solid color for the top itself.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:04 AM

I finished two quilts for a friend whose mother and grandmother pieced some Dresden Plates before he was born (1930s). He had completed blocks: the pointed 'plates' had their edges turned and basted and appliqued with blanket stitch to white cotton squares. There were also 'plates' with basted, turned edges not yet appliqued and a pile of unused pieces. I pieced, turned, basted and appliqued, --duplicating the original blanket stitch as closely as possible using black perle cotton. I joined the blocks with simple sashing in a warm, but subdued, yellow and a border the same size. I feel it retained the 1930 feel even with the yellow. The second quilt was a small daisy or dahlia with a yellow center. It had also been left unfinished similar to the Dresden Plate quilt and was appliqued using black perle cotton. After completing these smaller blocks they were assembled on point with the most 1930's- looking green cotton sashing I could find.

When quilted they looked, I hope, as if the original ladies had completed them. The green sashing did look more authentic. I think the blanket stitch was the most important element in keeping the old-time look. It also unified and contained the many, many prints. The blanket stitch is easy and quick to do. I hope you will give it a try.