Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: 2 questions on Juki 2010Q

2 questions on Juki 2010Q

Hello, everyone -

I am resetting the machine from quilting to piecing. I never did piece on it, other than to admire the stitch, so I find myself confused by:

where the presser foot setting originally was, and
    what to do for the 1/4" seam.

The regular foot with the two toes seems to make a more scant seam than I'm used to with my computerized machine. Is that what everyone uses for piecing?

Thanks for any advice you can share.

Charlotte

this is a better way to test for the correct seam allowance.

https://www.thespruce.com/quarter-in...quilts-2821362
    Alyce

I use the edge of the foot for piecing, because I like a scant 1/4" seam. You can use the line closest to the right of the foot, if you want more of a true 1/4" seam.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I use the edge of the two toed foot as well for piecing, works very well! My presser foot setting pretty much stays at 50%, I've never found the need to mess with it.

Thanks for the responses. Surely, using the edge of the foot would be easiest, and I was hoping others did it as well. I will set the presser foot to about 50% (had it nearly all the way up for WF quilting on a thin batt, per Elbert.)

hugs,
    charlotte

I use a two toe foot from another machine. I follow the edge of the foot, not as big a seam if I follow the 1/4" mark on machine plate.

I raise the pressure or lower it as much or as little as I need it to be.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

The HandiQuilter Stitch machine is the same as the Juki 2010. The HQ makes a 1/4" foot, but I can't get one from Juki. So... you can get the 1/4" foot from your HandiQuilter dealer, or order it online directly from HQ, and it will fit your Juki.
    Annette in Utah

Do you have what is called the compensating foot? It came with mine and is a 1/4". That piece on the right side keeps you from making your seam too big.

I use the two toed foot and know that if I go about 1/32 over, I'm good. No idea what seam allowance that ends up, but the part on the other side measures what I want. I prefer to be able to see a bit of fabric past the foot when I sew, so I'd never want to get a true 1/4" foot that needed to completely cover the fabric to get the seam correct.

I keep my pressure on the light side of the middle. I've had mine for over 2years and never tried FMQ on it yet. Sure do love it for piecing!
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

I use the two toe foot for a scant seam. And the compensating foot for a 1/4 inch seam. The compensating foot has a bar on the right side of the foot.

I have that machine but I only use it for FMQ. I heard it sews a beautiful straight stitch. I love that machine!

I bought a non-branded 1/4" foot from Sewing parts on line, it was about $15. I discovered that the compensating foot is also 1/4", but I haven't tried it out since I'm using the one I sent away for.
    BJ

These are such helpful responses. I am sure there are others besides me who are benefiting from your expertise.

For example, I have never tried the compensating foot. I did my first machine-sewn binding a year ago on the Juki and used the zipper foot (for some reason, I thought that made sense.) Of course, it kept slipping off the path. Now I wonder if the compensating foot would have been a better idea.

I will be experimenting on the 1/4" seam, using your suggestions. It's strange not to be able to move the needle, but the silky action of the machine is nothing like my older Viking. There's a lot to love here.

Maybe there should be an addendum to the machine manuals in a section of the Board. I'm sure our fellow quilters could do better than what's generally provided.

hugs,
    charlotte