Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Juki 2010Q - Comments & Questions after first week of use. >

Juki 2010Q - Comments & Questions after first week of use.

Juki 2010Q - Comments & Questions after first week of use.

Old 08-04-2017, 02:58 PM

Default Juki 2010Q - Comments & Questions after first week of use.

I really like this machine! The speed reminds me of a 383 stroker engine with a super charger. It's that fast and powerful! I've been using 50 wt thread top and bobbin and I've never seen such beautiful straight even stitches before. As other people described it, it sews like butter and very quiet.

I tried out the walking foot. I guess I got one of the good ones because it sewed perfectly and no loud noise, just a soft clickity-clack. The manual said to bring the pressure regulator to the top and I did. It was very smooth. I remember others complaining of the loudness, so I brought down the pressure regulator to 3 bars from the bottom, (factory setting?) and it was loud and clunky then. I brought it back to the top.

The compensating foot. I'm kind of on the fence about this one. While it gives me a precise and perfect 1/4" seam, if there is any fraying on the edge of the fabric, small or large, it will catch under the spring-loaded part of the foot and hold it there while my fabric bunches up in the back as it feeds through. I tried lightening up the pressure and no change. Other times when there is no frayness at all, it sews a seam perfectly. Anyone have this problem? If so, what have you done.

I cleaned out the bobbin area after a couple of changes and screwed back the plate. Immediately my thread starting shredding at the needle. I took off the needle plate again to check what was going on. As I was screwing the plate back on I noticed a little bit of play in it so I screwed it back on. I saw the needle was not centered in the needle hole, but barely rubbing off to the side. I had to unscrew the plate, pull the plate towards me and screw it back in, then I lowered the needle and saw that it was centered then.

FMQ, I didn't change any settings at all, same needle, same tension, lowered the food dogs and brought the pressure regulator to the top and I had perfect stitches on both sides. It was amazing!

Automatic threader, after a dozen tries and watching videos I finally got it working.

Oil, can I buy just regular sewing machine oil from Walmart?
Old 08-04-2017, 03:45 PM
Power Poster

I also just got the Juki and I LOVE it!!! My FMQ has already improved and believe me, I thought I just wasn't going to get it. I'm still practicing and haven't done the things you have yet.
Love the bobbin winder. Wound a whole bunch of bobbins I got on Ebay. If you need any let me know and I'll direct you to the place I got them- 100 for just a tad over 20 bucks .
Got the needle threader after watching Youtube- it's not the easiest but I finally have it down.
I watched The Crafty Gemini's 6 videos on FMQ with this machine. They were extremely helpful.
Glad the walking foot is working for you. I haven't used it yet. I don't do that style of quilting much.
OH- I got an awesome FMQ foot on Amazon for 12 bucks- it's larger and has an open toe. I prefer that, others may not.
I don't know about Walmart's oil- I don't shop there, just be sure it's good quality. That's important on any machine.
Have fun!! I am
Old 08-04-2017, 06:11 PM
Banned

Walmart carries Singer oil and yes it's fine to use. Congrats on your new machine.

Cari
Old 08-05-2017, 03:09 AM
Power Poster

i just loved the speed and stitches of my juki
Old 08-05-2017, 04:22 AM

Please do share where you got your bobbins. thanks! I've had my Juki for about a year and a half. I don't do FMQ on it because I have my Crescendo set in a cabinet so that just is better for me. I agree about the compensating foot - it is great for the right application but a mess for anything else. Although I purchased a separate 1/4 foot, I actually like and use the standard foot for piecing.
Old 08-05-2017, 04:35 AM
Power Poster

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-Bobbins-...gAAOSwt6ZWWRp2

Bobbins- I forgot where they are located but I'm in Ohio and got them in 2 days. Very happy with them and seller.
Old 08-05-2017, 04:36 AM

After 18 months, I'm still in love with my Juki. DH does the servicing for me, and after the first one he did at 1 year, he told me I use this machine so much he wanted to do the serving every 6 months. So the Juki just got it's second services, and DH reported there is no signs of wear on it (it just gets real dirty inside!).

I've never done FMQ with it, but love, love, love it for piecing and binding. I've never tried any other foot than the one that came installed.

BTW - I saw that Juki now has a clip you can install on the foot that disables being able to use the foot to activate the thread cutter. It looks like something that slips on the foot control so you can't press down with your heal. If they had that when I got my machine, I'd have gotten it in a heart beat. Now I'm use to it and rarely accidentally activate the thread cutter, and like having that ability.

However, if I was FMQ, I think I'd put it on just to be safe. It's not that big of a deal to have it happen when stitching a seam, but I'd hate having it happening while quilting.

The one item that has greatly improved my seams, is putting this guide on the machine. Since it's taped to the table, I can untape it from the machine, pull the table out so DH can do service, then put the table back and retape the part to the machine. No need to realign since it stays in place on the table. I have it cut so I can change the bobbin and oil without removing it.

Old 08-05-2017, 04:41 AM
Power Poster

Cathy, where did you get that guide? I bought my Juki mainly for FMQ but that looks like a nice thing to have.
Old 08-06-2017, 06:26 AM

I'd love to know where that guide came from also. I regular quilting template is too bulky
Old 08-06-2017, 06:49 AM

this is the one I have - I bought it based on another recommendation someone else posted, and really like it. I've been using it since December last year, and have not removed it from the table since. Though I have refreshed the tape a few times (just did yesterday). I use painter's tape to hold it down. It does not start to roll on the edges, and does not leave much residue to clean off when I remove it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by Macybaby; 08-06-2017 at 06:53 AM.