Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 200 inches from a half yd of material

All of the Missouri Star Quilting tutorials are excellent!!!!!!!!!!

This is not a new technique. I have been making bias binding like this since I learned to quilt in 1982. Some techniques don't get passed on to new quilters and then when they find them they think they are new. I think it was in Georgia Bonesteel's Lap Quilting book that I learned it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by darlin1942
    To me this video was an eye opener. httP:www.missouri quilt co.com. Now go to the video section at the top of the page. How to make 200yds of binding from only 1/2 yd of 34" material. Whoopee!!!!!!!!! Only have a small stash and this lady is very good as a teacher. Enjoy! :lol: :lol: :lol:
    I have that little gizmo and love it. It was some of the best money I've ever spent on quilting notions.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Iamquilter
    Isn't this the same way you make bias binding?That's the way I have made my bias bindings in the past.
    I think the operative word is "continuous" bias binding. Lots of people cut strips on the bias and sew the individual strips together. That's why I love the "continuous" binding method and have used it always because I'm too lazy to sew all those strips together! I have a chart somewhere that tells you how big to make the block to yield the most yardage of bias binding--now I have to start hunting... :x

i can't find that video where you said to look. Can you post it or let me know by PM, please. (the one on the "binding"....)

Yup, This produces a nice long strip of bias trimming. However the offset does produce some short bias cuts as well as long ones. I still prefer cutting it on the grain for quilt binding. Jenny does have some wonderful videos and techniques tho.:)

Quote Originally Posted by buslady
    Just to add, if you take the triangle that you cut off the one end and sew it back on the other end, so you have a "crooked" rectangle, there is NO waste. It really is cool!
    I do this - and what you end up with is a parallelogram and again no waste as buslady said.

Here is a great resource

http://quiltbug.com/articles/binding-calculator.htm

that is good for bias binding...don't use that much-only on rounded edges........the first time I saw that way of doing a bias binding was in the back of some quilting magazine way back when...I prefer using straight french fold for quilts....just my way.

To me this video was an eye opener. httP:www.missouri quilt co.com. Now go to the video section at the top of the page. How to make 200yds of binding from only 1/2 yd of 34" material. Whoopee!!!!!!!!! Only have a small stash and this lady is very good as a teacher. Enjoy! :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Impossible mathematically. 200 yards is 7200 inches. 7200 x 2.5 is 18000 square inches. 8 x 34 is 612 square inches.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by catmcclure
    Impossible mathematically. 200 yards is 7200 inches. 7200 x 2.5 is 18000 square inches. 8 x 34 is 612 square inches.
    It was a typo!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    Quote Originally Posted by catmcclure
    It was a typo!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:
    I guess it shows that people actually read some of the posts carefully. :mrgreen:

Thanks, I've seen this done in books but it always looked complicated. This makes it a lot easier!

Great tip, thanks for posting this link.

Quote Originally Posted by HomespunHandmaiden
    I love the Missouri Star Quilt Co 's videos! They make it all look so simple!
    Amen on that one!

You did get everyone's attention.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by buslady
    Just to add, if you take the triangle that you cut off the one end and sew it back on the other end, so you have a "crooked" rectangle, there is NO waste. It really is cool!
    I do this method all the time with a slight difference... I don't have that fancy ruler so I just use my regular cutting ruler but I do part of the cutting of the strips BEFORE I sew the seam. After the seam is sewn, you only need to cut a few inches with the scissors.

Let's do some math.

There are 612 square inches in an 18" x 34" piece of fabric. !

If you made your binding 2 1/2' which is common, you'd get 252 running inches of binding or 7 yards of binding.

Someone is changing words. 252 INCHES of 2 1/2 binding can never be more than 612 square inches.

And what is the mystery?
    Take your 34" piece of fabric, cut a strip of 2 1/2 inches then repeat, then repeat, then repeat--------------------which is exactly what every one of us does every day

Quote Originally Posted by scraphq
    Amazing how this binding went from 200 INCHES to 200 YDS!
    Funny isn't it?

200 yards would be a miracle! Can't be done. At least not by us. The Big Guy would have to make that cut for us!

Blog Entries
    thank you for this. Please ignore the stupid comment about yards vs inches. It's an easy mistake to make and quite beside the point. It's a great and useful video and who cares about your typo. Some people just like to nit pick.

I love the MSQC video's! Thank you for reminding me!

I am sure that a first time poster should be cut some slack, I hit the wrong keys. SORRY!!!!!!!! BUT IT IS STILL A GOOD FIND.
    You are right! This is a GREAT find :thumbup: Thanks for sharing. I certainly needed the visual. I have tried to follow instructions sort of like that in my quilting manual and never did get it. Now I get it!

That is a great video. Thank you for sharing.

Great video. Thanks for sharing.

thanks

wouldn't that be 200 inches and not yards.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast