Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12 13 22 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 UFO Therapy Thread - Sister Thread to 2013 UFO Challenge of the Month

Quiltermomma.....i love it. I used that same bronco fabric with orange moda marble in a rail fence pattern. Turned our great. I wish I still had a picture of it.
    Cindy R in Dallas, TX

"My day is not complete until I play with fabric in some manner......whether be sewing, cutting or just fondling for a new project."

Quiltermomma: You were so right about the cornerstones. Love the design of the quilt, isn't this to good for a Bronco Fan? Kidding, know he will love it.

QM--good job with the Bronco quilt. Is your cornerstone block paper pieced? Is that a free pattern?

okay, so i am trying to finish stuff! I finally got to buy some batting for two projects. Priority one needs its back done. #2 was ready to roll. I figured my sizes, bought my batting all together. #2 is 36 x 77 so I figured I could use one yard of w&n, because it was nicely wide. Of course, I laid it wrong when I cut it. So, I'll either have to piece batting for poor priority, or spend money I don't have on more. (the cut bit wouldn't waste, I have more tops!). Hmm. I decided to think about that later, and at least get #2 basted. Then put him up, worked on, and move back to number one. My backing is just a tad short. It is pieced, and 'arty' (?) and *so* close to being 'ok', but it isn't. I'll have to put more of something on it. Dig out those fabrics, see what I can find . . which end? blah blah blah. So - NO progress today. none.

Forced now to get to work on the backing for poor priority. It is a rail fence, with coordinated fabrics. Should I match the print for the seams? My quilt is too wide for one piece. I have enough length, though. Do I center the big piece and then add on to the top and the bottom? Do I worry about the direction of the print? I have learned from the board to tear, instead of cut. That'll be something else new!!
    suggestions?
    Name:  003.JPG
Views: 190
Size:  168.3 KB that is a pen cap, for scale on that print! ;0)
    here is the top -
    Name:  20120510202351.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  620.9 KB

Lara122, boy, we've all had one of those days! The UFO I'm trying to get finished (22 years old!) had a slight problem too. There were 7 large finished squares my daughter & her friends did at her 10th birthday party. Putting #7 on the front would make 2 more problems but later in the day while the squares were on the wall I watched Creative Backs on Craftsy. Its a free class & she has great ideas. She gave me a great solution. #7 is now on the back along with fabric left over when I trimmed down the massive blocks the girls did.
    Maybe that would be something you could do, ie 1 or 2 strips of left over fabric in the back to add to the width. If you can watch the class you might come up with something you'll like.
    best of luck
    Joyce T, RN retired
    Laughter is the best medicine

Blog Entries
    I actually did templates for it. I drew up what I wanted and the boss did it on auto cad for me.

Emma, yes, it is to good for a bronco fan, but just right for the airforce.
    Quote Originally Posted by carriem View Post
    QM--good job with the Bronco quilt. Is your cornerstone block paper pieced? Is that a free pattern?
    Life is short, live it while you still can. QuilterMomma

Blog Entries
    QM,. the Bronco quilt is fabulous and I am not even a football fan period. I am hoping to finish up soem UFO place mats in next few days...Will post pic tomorrow of the tops.
    She who dies with the most fabric, didn't sew fast enough!

Blog Entries
    Getting there. The scrappy mystery is quilted - just threads to clip. One Spicy Spiral table runner is ready to sandwiched and the next is cut out and half pieced. Still haven't switched printers so I can post a picture.

Blog Entries
    I am working on the AboutQuilting.com New Year Mystery quilt 2013. I was short a couple HST, I sewed up this am, then ripped then sewed, then ripped again. Got two blocks done. I hope to finish this before it become a ufo. I have only abandoned it twice already this year and that is since Jan 1. I am going to have to pull out another ufo to work on. How about that quilt I started two years ago and it is still waiting to be taken to the press shop to get pressed so won't bleed when washed, then marked for quilting, which should take approximately a week just to mark, being sure I don't do what I already did and used disappearing marking pen. Yes, I marked the bugger and did nto realize that it was the disappearing pen. What a challenge mentally to take it up again. I think, when done, could be another award winning quilt. We will see if I can execute what is in the brain onto the quilt. It is similar to the quilting done on Fraew's applique quilt except my daughter colored roses on it. It is based off a 1930's quilt. No photos yet, but will post after back from the press shop.

For march I will try to finish some Disney signature quilts my daughter made her three kids ...last summer. I got backings sewn for two yesterday. I'll sew the third one Monday and then sandwich and quilt them. I think I'm going to FM Mickey Mouse ears all over them!!! Or attempt to lol.
    SheriR~

~If you can't turn the corners of your mouth up...let the middle sag!~

"Be not afraid, only believe."

I think I am now on the winning side of this tshirt quilt!!!! It is going to finish at roughly 112"x142" and weigh in right around 10 pounds.
    I have the top and back pinned together at the centers and am ready to sew the sides together before making the miter corners and then turning it. Wish me luck!!!
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

Blog Entries
    What a monsterous beast wildyard!

Blog Entries
    I have a question, did not want to make a new post on this so thought to ask on a couple of the busier threads, but what do you consider earth tones? I consider earth tones to be blues, greens, browns, and a brown red could be in that as well. I am making a quilt and I really considered it to be earth tones, but the DH and DD said only sorta. Where am I wrong? I did put in a neutral of an off white/tan. No, I don't have a photo of the fabric, but just thought the color scheme was right on. What did I miss?

I think of earth tones as what most people refer to as Autumn colors. I wouldn't include the blue.

Personally I'd consider autumn colors as earth tones, but I know some people consider only browns as earth tones. So I guess it depends on who you ask.

Gotta jump back aboard the UFO train. Been really or (as we say in New England) wicked busy lately. I have my guild retreat coming up. For once, I think I'll take 'old' projects with me.

Blog Entries
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  980.1 KBThis is it. I got all my blocks done and ready to assemble.

Well I think it's earthy. It's beeautiful!!
    SheriR~

~If you can't turn the corners of your mouth up...let the middle sag!~

"Be not afraid, only believe."

Blog Entries
    So I just had to finish it. Now to decide on borders.
    Attached Images Attached Images

QuilterMomma--that is a pretty quilt, not sure "earthy" would be my first description, but I really like the fabric and pattern used. Good job!

Quilter Momma love your quilt. Who cares whether its earthy colors, its gorgeous!

wow -- I love it . .. calm colors definitely!

To me, earth tones are just the browns, tans, black and maybe some rusts and reds like the red clay soil.
    Including the blues and greens becomes nature tones in my opinion.
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

Blog Entries
    Hi everyone, Just playing catchup on the latest posts. Wildyard, Wow! What a quilt you are making. Is this for someone special. They will sleep well under it. I know we sleep better under a heavy quilt. Quiltermomma, I have to profess my ignorance. What is a press shop? Some place that just irons quilt tops? I never heard of such a place but I live a sheltered life I guess, or a t least one in the boondocks. I agree that earth tones are duller, rusts, gray, tan brown but I do love yours with the touch of blue to perk it up. I finished some place mats so at least I can say I finished one thing this month.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    She who dies with the most fabric, didn't sew fast enough!

Blog Entries
    Were you sending those placemats to my house? Love them.

It is a T-shirt press because the design needs the dry heat. If the cleaners used theirs, the colored pencil would bleed because of the steam. So it has to be a dry press. Similar to when you do an iron to a t-shirt. My iron isn't hot enough to set it real good so took there to get the 350 degree press. It should set real well then. they just phoned me as said was done. I am excited to see it and now to get it all marked so is ready to quilt on in the next couple of weeks. Will take me some time to do this one. Would love to have it for Easter, but unless I took the whole week off of work, won't get it done by then.

Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12 13 22 ... LastLast