Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12 21 22 23 LastLast

Thread: 2013 UFO Therapy Thread - Sister Thread to 2013 UFO Challenge of the Month

OK: Did you ever think of therapy. I'm almost sure you can be helped. LOL
    Life: Since the weather as turned to fall I've been obsessed with quilting. We won't even talk about the condition my house is in, the only saving grace is that its only my dog and I, so I only have one witness and he can't talk.
    Fraew: The only reason I'm not right there with you is that I am afraid I would totally lose my momentum and never get back to the UFOs.
    Viv: Saw and loved your blue and white. Would love to see the second finish.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Emma S View Post
    OK: Did you ever think of therapy. I'm almost sure you can be helped. LOL
    One of my quilt guild friends told me I needed therapy. I replied "But this is my therapy!" as she hands me a bag full of her tiny pieces. What an enabler she is!

Last night got a small quilt FMQ--now to get it bound and have one down xxxxx to go. Next project is a UFO that's lingered since 09. Sis's BD is 9-9 and for her BD that year I gave her 9 quilted gifts--well actually only 8 as this is #9 so when I go to visit her in 3 weeks I can take it to her.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    I donate quilts to the AAQI.

This month I want to finish a quilt for my son. He actually pieced all the blocks and started quilting (QAYG), but he got bored with it before finishing...so there it's sat. He said a couple weeks ago when I finished the airplane quilt "will you finish my quilt for me?" His birthday is the end of October...so figure that is a good goal. It is all flannel and he's looking forward to having a warm quilt on his bed this winter.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Emma S View Post
    Viv: Saw and loved your blue and white. Would love to see the second finish.
    Here is my table topper for Christmas. I need to pick up some backing so I can quilt it. I checked my book and I started it October 16, 2012. I always like to make a note in the front cover or on the pattern page so I'll remember significant dates. So if I can get some backing in the next week, I may have it done before it's a year old.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Vivian
    Yukon Territory, Canada
    www.quiltingunderthemidnightsun.blogspot.ca

Blog Entries
    What a pretty table topper YViv! The little chickadee fabric is so precious.
    Reminds me of the SYE blocks doesn't it carrie?

Glad you have another quilt to work on carrie.

Have all the blocks (9) SID on my DS quilt. Now to start some FMQ.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

Oh Viv, thats beautiful. The diamond log cabin really is amazing in a table topper. Fons & Porter's magazine has a similar one that has been on my bucket list. That would even work as a wall hanging.

Viv--very pretty topper.

Yes, OK, similar to SYE blocks.

Blog Entries
    Elated! Have the binding on the little basket quilt as well as the Sister's Choice quilt. Now to stitch them down and clip threads. Time to watch some TV! Will post when done.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

Blog Entries
    Looking for suggestions on how to quilt this. I have limited FMQ skills mostly just stippling.
    Name:  Bear's Paw.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  236.5 KB
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

Ok: My FM skills are limited but I started out with comparitively simple border designs and find that marking with slivers of soap on the dark fabric works really well. I don't think FM them is any harder the stippling. My next quilt to FM is going to have a fairly complex "block" design. If I were to sit down and FM your lovely quilt I would start out with a design that complements your pieced blocks, then stipple the dark brown, skip the pink and use a border design that echos the shapes in the pieced blocks. I have a book of continuous line quilt designs called "Quilting Dot to Dot" by Cheryl Barnes that I find invaluable. You can take it to a copy shop and have the design you choose blow up or reduced to exactly fit your block or border. Whatever you decide it is a truly lovely quilt.

Blog Entries
    If you want some simple ideas:
    Put a simple cross hatch which you can do with a walking foot and light marking on the outer border, I would do a curved cross hatch in the triangles and the inner squares about 1" apart depending on the size of the quilt, and a SID in the blocks being sure they are close enough together other wise would repeat the cross hatch in them as well. For the curved, make a nice gradual line on the blocks and then just move down and mark again so you are sure to get it the same size. If they are smaller than 12" blocks, like 6", adjust to 1/2" apart. Does that help?

If you are set on FM and no lines, then feathers is the answer to me as well. There is always line dancing but you would still need to fill in the large blocks, then i would do a little Pam Clark design. Is this what you are looking for? what is the size?
    Life is short, live it while you still can. QuilterMomma

Blog Entries
    Thanks Emma and QMomma. Blocks are 7" and the quilt is a rectangle (corners are just off the edge). I'm still thinking but these ideas have given me a jumping off point. I'm a little shaky on feather making!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

Blog Entries
    I was so riddled with guilt last week (working on all new projects) that I pulled out a UFO and sewed the binding on. Now if I could just wave my magic wand and get it sewn on to the front!
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  1.75 MB
    Fraew

"I don't buy vintage quilts. By the time I finish the quilts I've started they've already become antiques." ~ Mark Lipinski
    Link to my albums: http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...85-albums.html

Blog Entries
    Wave wave wave, there, my magic wand has waved over it. Now you can get it done. LOL This is where I look at it and say, the machine can do it in less time than it takes me by hand. Yep, done.

I will gladly join this challenge. It just may be the motivation I need to get the 13 quilt tops that need quilted don, and the 4 WIPS I need to work on. I have a longarm so I do not have much of an excuse.

I am so incredibly close to finishing my quilt top. I need to piece one short border and attach it, as well as the other short border I already pieced. Planning to quilt all day tomorrow, so hopefully I'll have it finished then! The rest of October I have little to no time, and I really want to finish it this month.

J.M., good luck with your finish. I am trying to complete my Oct project. Just need to finish the sandwich and quilt and bind.

Thanks Emma. I hope your October project goes as well as mine. I've got one border attached now. Only one more to construct and attach and the top is done!

Blog Entries
    Go J.M. and Emma S. Get 'er done!
    Fraew

"I don't buy vintage quilts. By the time I finish the quilts I've started they've already become antiques." ~ Mark Lipinski

Blog Entries
    Ok ghouls...I know I lent my magic wand to one of you. I need it today and tomorrow, again for magic binding. So hand it over, or else!
    Fraew

My top's done *dances* I'll take a picture of it tomorrow in the daylight and post it on the main thread.

With the top done, I can finally plan my shopping trip to pick up batting and backing for this quilt, as well as material for a new quilt. I made the deal with myself that I was allowed to pick up fabric for my new quilt when I finished this top, which was a great motivater

Blog Entries
    I finished the orange/green one this morning (posted on the other thread) and kept on going! I squared this one up, cut binding, and stitched it on. Ready to hand sew to the back.
    Fraew

I thought I would share a couple pictures of my first project for November...I was asked to tie this Crazy quilt. It had red borders on 2 sides that had water stains and also holes chewed in them so I removed those. I have started to put a new border on...then will sandwich, tie and bind.

Then I have 3 other tops to choose from to quilt this month...haven't decided which to do yet.

Blog Entries
    My goal this month is to finish quilting four quilts hanging on the rack waiting patiently. The tops have been done for months. Also, pulled out an embroidery UFO that I worked on last year and set aside. Love the fabrics and design of flowers, just put it down because of other pressing projects and bored with it. This am already did half my flying geese and now to do the other half maybe tonight while garage warms up so I can longarm the placemats and tablerunner I started last year. Will be nice to get those done. Then I have to do another customer quilt before I do another one of my projects. I am backed up on those. Would love to get two done during the week and then two more on the weekend.

Love the crazy quilt. Glad I finished mine. I should go back and sew on some buttons and such so it has more details to it, but will think about it. that is hand work and you all know that is not my favorite.

Hey Fraew, all esle fails, stitch with machine that binding. There are some you tube tutes on how to do it and use the fancy machine stitches to get them pretty and then looks cool. I did that on the farm swap blocks, dog blocks, cat blocks, and the chicken swap blocks. Turned out cool.

Blog Entries
    Crazy ponies is on the design wall. First the EQ rendition and then the center waiting to be stitched. All non crazy block fabric is from my stash.Name:  Crazy Ponies.BMP
Views: 105
Size:  594.2 KBName:  Crazy horses 21.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  288.2 KB
    Last edited by oksewglad; 11-08-2013 at 03:42 PM.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12 21 22 23 LastLast