Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
44"-45" Inch Fabric Not Measuring Up >

44"-45" Inch Fabric Not Measuring Up

44"-45" Inch Fabric Not Measuring Up

Old 06-02-2012, 05:10 AM

Put a border on
Old 06-02-2012, 01:04 PM

I just figure all fabric at 40" wide and go from there.
Old 06-02-2012, 01:13 PM

when calculating for shopping i count on the fabric being 40" wide when all is washed and ready for cutting.

everything else is gravy.

aileen
Old 06-02-2012, 01:18 PM
Power Poster

I have fabrics from over 20 years ago that are only 42 inches wide. So it isn't just a NEW thing.

Read what it says on the end of the bolt. If you want to 'see for yourself' - carry a tape measure with you.

You may also want to 'assume' that there may be some shrinkage - As PaperPrincess says, WOF fabric shrinkage can be drastic - although I've had LOF shrinkage, too.

Interestingly enough to me, some of the 'so-called' lesser brands like VIP, Marcus Brothers, and Peter Pan usually were 45 inches, whereas some of the 'so-called' better brands like Kaufman, Hoffman, Alexander Henry tended to be narrower.

Go figure - pay more - get less!
Old 06-02-2012, 01:21 PM

I guess they are just like most of the companies now days. Notice how 1 pound soon became 12 oz. and 5 pounds of sugar became 4. I guess it is happening to fabric now.
Old 06-02-2012, 01:36 PM
Power Poster

Maybe we'll end up with the 36" width from back in the "olden days"
Old 06-02-2012, 01:43 PM

To be truthful, I never pay attention to the width, and it's wasn't an issue until my guild placed a MUST BE 45" for the requirement on the vet quilts. I think I'll let them know there is no such thing anymore and they should rethink this particular requirement because I'm sure a lot of the gals making the quilts will go with whatever width the fabric was on the bolt and square it off in that width so most, unless they add a border, will be less than the 45". I know that's what I'm going to do.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:47 AM

It doesn't surprise me.
After all a 2 x 4 is 1 7/8 x 3 7/8
MK
Old 06-03-2012, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by lalaland View Post
One of my guild's community service projects this year is blankets for vets. The criteria is they MUST be 45" square. OK, I found some really nice fabric at my local quilt shop that I thought a vet would really like, green with pretty gold medallions, so I bought enough to make 2 lap quilts.

Well, guess what. The fabric measures 43", not even 44", and it's 42-1/4" if you eliminate the narrow white strip running down the width of the fabric. Now I'm sure I can fudge a little on the lap quilt, but when I'm paying good money for quality fabric, and the description says 44"-45", I think it should "measure up". Don't you?

It's sort of like a 2x4 - they are no more 2x4's than a fabric is 45". Perhaps the instructions meant the size should be 45" and you can take 42/43" fabric and make a border to come out to 45". I have done that!

You could also use 108" backing fabric and there you have 45" twice - enough for two quilts without a border. You could use the leftover for binding or sashing. One way or the other, we are all so smart that that lightbulb goes off on the top of our head and we sit there and say "Duhhhhh" and then sometimes we just cannot see the forest for the trees. Been there - Done that - more than I care to count! But it all works out one way or the other.

Those vets are going to be very lucky Warriors!! God bless you.

Edie
Old 06-03-2012, 04:25 AM
Banned

If the fabric was less than the desired size, then I would put a narrow strip down the middle and perhaps across making two large blocks or a border around it. Folks will call you creative.....To me, fabric has never been consistently the same width even in the same fabric line. I have been to a fabric manufacturer and know the greig goods comes from different surces and will shrink differently in the printing/dying process. Some will say "live with it and work with what is there" I have been told by fabric companies they only guarangee width within a certain range. Also, does the receiver of the quilt demand they be an exact size - say 43"? Also hen I have backing that is slightly less in with than I need, I will just sew a strip of contrasting fabric down the middle to make it wide enough rather than by 2x the width and have the extra sitting around.