Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
45 degree angle cut? >

45 degree angle cut?

45 degree angle cut?

Old 10-25-2012, 04:03 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

You dear precious friends, you have made me gasp for air and repeatedly wipe my face of tears as I am so overcome by your amazing comments and encouragements. I am truly overwhelmed this evening. So humbled.

Opening this page to read was a gift of blessing as today was a hard day even before I received a shock of a bill which had somehow fallen through the cracks - a $300+ cell phone/internet overdue (in part) bill. In my world right now, $300 may as well be $3000.....it will be met, but with difficulty.

And then you all write these sweet, uplifting things!

And then you suggest I write a book!

My mother has insisted for years that I do this! Other friends have urged me to do this. Sometimes I've wanted to, other times I've been sure, "Not me!" Perhaps the subject needs a re-look. But I don't exactly know where to look, how to start, who to contact. And I'd need lots of help. And they wouldn't take MY graphics, probably, but would do much more professional ones. And then those wouldn't be "mine". I go around and around.......

Actually, that reminds me of a mental picture one of my shop employees (who became a dear, dear friend) - said she saw me doing. There at the end, when I was trying to get the shop sold/closed without the public realizing we were going to do so, she told me I had "one foot nailed to the floor and was pumping hard with the other!" (Going around in circles!!) I've never forgotten that picture, LOL! And have lived it many times since, LOL!

I LOVE teaching. I love helping. And, yes, KISS is my abiding principal most of the time. I tell my classes that the little tips and tricks I've come up with are my own, developed because I'm really the laziest quilter around. I know a hundred little ways to keep my bottom in that chair sewing before I have to get up to cut or press or rip or do-it-again.

One of the first for which I'm well known is that sticky note beside the presser foot for an even-all-the-way-down-the-strip 1/4" seam allowance. I've used it for decades! Turned many a class onto it at the Houston International Quilt Festival back in the 90s. Require students in my classes and workshops to bring a pad and rubber band so I can show them how easy it is. I sew my strips together these days with the foot pedal pressed all the way to the floor, going about 75 miles an hour, and the seams are as straight as can be, even seam allowance all the way.

I appreciate and thank you lovely people more than you know and will continue putting my responses out there til somebody tells me to quit!

Jan in VA
Attached Thumbnails easy-quarter-inch-seam-allowance-trick.gif  
Old 10-25-2012, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Vanuatu Jill View Post
Jan, your visuals are incredibly clear and precise!! Wish patterns we that clear!!
I was thinking the same thing. Thanks for sharing it.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:55 PM

Awwww Jan.... Big hug!! ((Jan)) you SHOULD write a book and make lots of money! You've got built-in buyers all collected right here!
Old 10-26-2012, 03:51 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

Callen, you are so nice. The real saying is "Keep It Simple Stupid". You cleaned it up for everyone. How "sweet" you are!!!
Old 11-03-2012, 08:27 PM

Jan, after reading the instructions I was saying HUH! Then when I saw your illustration it all made sense. Thanks.