Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
65% cotton - 35% polyester >

65% cotton - 35% polyester

65% cotton - 35% polyester

Old 06-29-2016, 04:03 PM

I have also used it on occasion, when the colour was right and I had nothing else on hand. I doubled it when I made a Warm Wishes Elmo quilt (yup could not find the perfect orangey/rusty/brown anywhere else) because it just seemed so thin. I also made sure to shrink my quilting cotton and iron at a lower setting. Baby quilt turned out great!!
Old 06-29-2016, 05:31 PM

I don't know for sure what the gingham that my aunt used in a beautiful quilt is for sure - but I believe that it is poly/cotton and I have washed/line dried that quilt dozens of times and it is as soft and smooth as the rest of the quilt. Also, the best set of sheets that I ever had were from KMart years ago and they were a blend and just got softer with every wash and dryer load. HTH
Old 06-29-2016, 06:18 PM

Only if I have some in my stash but more so for utilitarian things than quilts or garments. My preferences have changed over the years and I now prefer natural fibers.
Old 06-30-2016, 03:09 AM

I use this quite often because if I am using what I have that is what I do. I have used this many times on purpose depending on what the quilt is for. An example would be my granddaughters that think you must wash things to death. The mixture holds up to all the washings much better than cotton.
Old 06-30-2016, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by Quilter 65 View Post
Well, funny this should post now. I have a piece of fabric that I love. After getting the complimentary colors all lined up, it occurred to me that this fabric felt "different". It also behaves "differently". I swear it is poly/cotton blend, but was purchased at LQS shop. I am treating this as a learning experience. I will say probably never again, but it is so pretty and I actually think the quilt top is fairly attractive as well.
Quilter 65 To check content of fabric there is a burn test. I remember one of the results is a melting when it is polyester. Sime cottons have a silky or satiny feel.
Old 06-30-2016, 04:13 AM

I used a blend in a quilt for my daughter's bed. It was sold at JAF in the solids section right alongside the Kona cottons. I didn't give it a 2nd thought... just thought because I found it in the quilting section, it was cotton... ( it was a few years ago..) Anyway, it was the perfect color of turquoise. I used it for the blocks in squares in her knotted squares quilt. Now after several washings, I'm finding pilling on those turquoise squares. I'm disappointed. This quilt took SO much time to make. Every block has about 30 pieces in it, and is perfectly suited to her. (She was 9 at the time, but it will continue to serve her and her tastes into her teenage years.) Here is a photo from my pinterest board.
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/535083999448174732/
Old 06-30-2016, 04:54 AM

sorry aout the pilling.....i'll stick with cottton thank you.
Old 06-30-2016, 05:41 AM

The poly-cotton does wonderfully for square dance dresses. Lots of ruffles, and after washing it never needs ironing and looks like just made. Too bad not too many people wear the dresses anymore. Most wear prairie skirts or pants.

I've used it many times in my scrap quilts. It does not shrink, but you need a little starch to hold a pressed seam. It also wears much better than all cotton. Two that I made about 15 years ago spent two years on a boat in the Bahamas and are still going.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:10 AM

I had to smile when one of the posters mentioned the word "traditional". The oldest of quilts were not necessarily all cotton. It was whatever was available. As for me, I really don't mind the blends. Poly tends to be more color-fast, especially the blacks and browns. (Have you noticed that those colors in antique quilts are faded or the fabric is disintegrating?) One of the prettiest wall hangings I have made was from my husband's shirts and those all were cotton/poly blends. Just be careful--they are not as heavy and that rotary cutter sails through them..... Voice of experience here! I find the blends are more durable fabrics, as is the thread. Also more laundry friendly.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Are any of you willing to use this blend in garments or for quilting?
When I first began, I inadvertently mixed this blend with cotton in a quilt. I had been sewing clothing and household items for years but hadn't used 100% cotton much, so was unaware of what I was doing. I now use only cotton but have been told by others that mixing fabrics is not a great sin and usually works out okay. I think the difference will show when it's washed (the quilt top I made is still that: a top....so I don't know how it will eventually look....or last).