Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 9-Patch maddness. what a mess?? What would you do?

9-Patch maddness. what a mess?? What would you do?

I was making the 9-patch madness and loved it. was gonna make it 4 across by five down, so got my 20 blocks made and stupid me didn't even think and put 5 blocks in the rows and now it's to short. don't want to take it all back apart, and have no more of the background fabric as it was I was short and used a different wow on the 4 corner blocks. I could make a new row with a different wow for top and bottom, will be bigger than I wanted but it is scrappy? Or I could just add bigger border to top and bottom and smaller to sides. What do you think? Thanks for any help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

buddy'smom
    April's mom
    Tara's mom

Blog Entries
    Larger border top & bottom is a good option. Nice thing about scrappy quilts is anything works. The quilt is lovely.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Go with your border idea. Beautiful quilt.

Blog Entries
    I'm confused. You wanted a 4 x 5 setting, and now you have a 5 x 4 setting, what happens when you rotate the quilt 90 degrees?

All my blocks that are upright will be sideways?
    buddy'smom
    April's mom
    Tara's mom

Blog Entries
    yep, directional prints. borders are your answer. i've seen lovely quilts with larger borders on top or both top and bottom. or a row of blocks of some sort added. good luck.

My DGD said just turn it Grandma, doesn't matter witch the direction there in.
    buddy'smom
    April's mom
    Tara's mom

You could take it apart??? or do the boarder thing or do as DGD says.
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

Quote Originally Posted by Jane Quilter View Post
    I'm confused. You wanted a 4 x 5 setting, and now you have a 5 x 4 setting, what happens when you rotate the quilt 90 degrees?
    I was thinking the same thing and then I saw her directional fabric. LOL

I would and have made bigger borders top and bottom. Smaller on the sides.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Quote Originally Posted by sydneybean View Post
    I was thinking the same thing and then I saw her directional fabric. LOL
    same here

i am wondering how hard it might be to turn only the directional prints 90 degrees so that you have a vertically oriented 4x5 . I personally think that adding borders to this one would look odd because you’d still have a horizontal orientation but with oversize sides. I would opt to put 1 or 2 more scrappy rows on, depending on whether you want a square or a larger rectangle? It is more work now, but what will you be happiest with in the long run?
    Last edited by zozee; 03-08-2018 at 06:06 PM.

Tear it all apart and do it right!!!! NOT!!! Lol!!! This is really pretty.... You could do a pieced border top/bottom if you don't like the look of solid wider borders top/bottom... Or, do a simple little raw-edged appliqué vine and flower on top/bottom border. Lots of options....
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

I vote for the borders idea~
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Power Poster
    How about a piano key border using all your fabrics added to the top and bottom. I would do the keys the width of the small squares.

Could you not take the middle column out, then take the bottom row off then sew the middle column horizontally rejoin the bottom row and it would then be 4 across and 5 down.

I would do a narrow border of background, then do a row of square in a square blocks across the top and bottom, all scrappy, then another narrow background border, then a border of your choice.

Can I assume that all of the blocks are alike? If that is the case, why can't you take the fifth block off of each row and make them into another row and stitch them on. That would make it 4 columns by 5 rows-which was your original plan.

This is the best looking 'mess' that I have seen in along time...........................

I am working on a 9 patch madness, too...luckily, I had made only two blocks when I realized directional prints are not compatible with the pattern. Most of the material are not directional, so that is good. I have three directional prints which I still want to use. So...here is my action plan. I lay out the colors in each block and look at the opposite corners which will be turned upside down after the block is cut both ways. If the print is directional, I turn it upside down before sewing the nine squares together into a 9-patch. Hope this makes sense. Wish me luck, lol.

Thank you, I did the same thing after I realized they were up side down as well. I have a box of 5" squares so I was set to go and really do love this block. Would love to see yours when it's finished.

Quote Originally Posted by quilttiger View Post
    I am working on a 9 patch madness, too...luckily, I had made only two blocks when I realized directional prints are not compatible with the pattern. Most of the material are not directional, so that is good. I have three directional prints which I still want to use. So...here is my action plan. I lay out the colors in each block and look at the opposite corners which will be turned upside down after the block is cut both ways. If the print is directional, I turn it upside down before sewing the nine squares together into a 9-patch. Hope this makes sense. Wish me luck, lol.
    buddy'smom
    April's mom
    Tara's mom

Blog Entries
    I think a border would really set it off and give you the added length you want. I agree with the piano keys suggestion as the rest of the quilt is scrappy it would really be pretty. Just another idea.
    Happy Quilting
    Judy in Lower Michigan

IMHO, if I took the suggested "border" way out, it would always bother me that it didn't turn out the I wanted it to. Without taking it ALL apart, could you not just take the fifth block off the end of each row, and make them into your fifth row? I know it would take some "unsewing" but it would be worth it to me.

I am making the blocks, but they won't be assembled into a top until I go on my quilt retreat March 22nd. But I can send a layout of the blocks, hopefully by the end of the week. Once I finish the top, another picture will be sent.

Blog Entries
    Add additional borders to top and bottom. Pick other colors you want to highlight and use those and then make the outer border the same all the way around. That's one of the things that is great about scrappys! I would do the 'extra' borders the size of the small squares (2"?) and personally would do a red, blue and maybe a green. But it totally depends on who is getting it and their color preferences. I really like your top - and don't beat yourself up about the goof, everyone of us has done something similar!!

Quote Originally Posted by quilttiger View Post
    I too have been planning to do the nine patch madness quilt. When using directional prints, you don't need to turn the 2 corners upside down, just move the top right to the bottom left keeping the same orientation, and then of course move the bottom left to the top right. These pictures show 1) original block, 2) sliced block, 3) corners turned WRONG, and 4) corners just swapped.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast