Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
AARGH!!!  Found it cheaper on Craigslist after buying one! >

AARGH!!! Found it cheaper on Craigslist after buying one!

AARGH!!! Found it cheaper on Craigslist after buying one!

Old 01-30-2013, 04:42 AM

You can always find a better deal if you long enough. You have to make a decision at some point. Stop punishing yourself and enjoy your purchase.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by Michellesews View Post
Congratulations, you are the winner! Janome beats Pfaff hands down these days. It took me two 8K mistakes to figure that one out. The old Pfaffs, made in Germany, cannot be beat. The new Pfaffs, made since the 1990's, are not very well made and have lots of problems. Janome on the other hand, it what Pfaff USED to be. I have a Pfaff 2134 and a Janome 6500, both are workhorses. I have gotten rid of two newer Pfaffs in the last 4 years, TOL models, that were junk. My main go-to machine is now a Babylock, next the Janome and the Pfaff 2134 stays packed up to go to classes. This is my experience and my opinion, if you disagree, you have a right to your opinion...some have better experiences with different machines. Personnally, if I live to be 100, I will NEVER buy another Pfaff anything.

PS: Don't you wonder why they were selling the Pfaff on Craigs list so cheaply? Because it was a piece of junk!
I agree about the German made Pfaff machine. My daughter is still using the one I used in my Upholstery business.
It has to be at least 25 years old by now.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:32 AM

I, too, think the
new pfaffs are not as nice as the old ones. But even so, remember that there must be a reason the seller was willing to let it go for a lower price. Don't second guess your great new machine - ENJOY!!
Old 01-30-2013, 05:43 AM

You do not say where you bought the machine. I would not buy a expensive machine from craiglist as you do not have any support that way. A dealer may cost more but they take care of problems.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:20 AM

I've never tried the Janome. There is no dealer anywhere near me. I have the Pfaff Expression 2.0 which has an 11" harp. I love it dearly and have not had a moment's trouble with it in the 4 years I've owned it. I clean it thoroughly myself after every project, and it has never been in the sm hospital. Thread cutters were a new thing (at least to me) when I bought my machine and I was leary of them. I can now see that one would be nice, but I'm not running out to get a new machine just for the cutter. If you are happy with what you got that's all that counts.

As far as service, while there is no guarantee on a used machine, the guarantee on a new one is not forever. A dealer will service a machine (if he/she is worth their salt) whether you bought it from them or not. If they wouldn't, I would take ALL my business to a dealer who would.

Last edited by ShirlinAZ; 01-30-2013 at 07:22 AM.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:28 AM

Yeah -- you made the BEST choice. I've had both --- will NEVER give up my Janome. It's the best.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:03 AM

and what about a warranty? When I was looking for a new machine, a lot of manufacturers do not have a warranty on a resold machine.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:16 AM

I have a janome and it is a great machine. Pfaff's are now made all over the world, wherever they get the cheapest bid. So you never know if the machine you get is made in China, Korea or someplace else. This has made the quality drop. You have a good machine.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:24 AM
Power Poster

Do not worry about it you have a wonderful machine!!! Stop looking and enjoy!!!
Old 01-30-2013, 10:08 AM
Power Poster

I have one machine with thread cutter, one without. It would not be a deal breaker for me. Thread cutter leave about 1/2" tail and come unthreaded alot.