Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
? about making potholders... >

? about making potholders...

? about making potholders...

Old 10-28-2010, 07:11 AM

When I started mine, I found something (Maybe on the insulbrite package) that said to sandwich 1 layer of insulbrite between 2 layers of warm & Natural. Also, to use only cotton thread as the poly can melt and burn you. I thought it was kind of odd then that there is poly in the insulbrite, but its between the cotton and fabric on mine and the only time I've gotten heat is if it gets wet and I keep trying to use it.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:46 AM

and some go buy the special stuff. it is certainly your choice what you use. just be careful not to use any polyester, batting or fabric blends; they can melt when they get too hot.
i am no good at making potholders and have given up...mine always burn your fingers and i even tried the insulbrite stuff...so i gave up making them i admire anyone who can make a cool potholder.[/quote]

I use all those things, sometimes insulbrite with a layer of cotton batting, or flanel....sometimes a layer or two of old cotton bath towel. It all works but here is the trick to be sure they won't burn your hand....make them bigger. That way you can fold them over for a double layer of potholder for the really hot pots. I make mine about ten inches big, I can pull an iron skillet from the hot oven no problem. I find an old bath towel, I get mine at the thrift shop works as well as anything. Insulbrite is good if you want a thinner hot pad but add a layer of cotton batting on both sides. But in no circumstances what ever never ever use anything polyester....it will melt and painfully for you.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:58 AM

I just use a couple of layers of batting.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:52 PM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

I just made some potholders using insulbrite and and old wool sweater as the batting. tested it and works great. I used both the insulbrite and wool (or warm n natural on a few); BOTH on the heat exposed side of my oven mitts and I am satisfied that I won't be burnt! The other side was the quilted material and I just lined it with warm n natural. My sis thought it was overkill but, I took a roast out that had been on 400 and it was not a problem.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:56 PM
Google Goddess

great tips everyone
Old 10-28-2010, 04:06 PM

A friend of mine uses multiple layers of denim fabric from old jeans and 1 layer of insulbrite. The pot holders look great, feel wonderful, and recycle previously used material.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by scrapykate
I use both, the Insulbright on the side that goes toward the pot and the warm and natural toward the hand. Makes a nice pot holder.
This is what I do too.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:19 PM

I have used both and also baby blankets I find at yard sells and comforter's. I like them all but will go back to used baby blankets because it is less expensive. I also have lined my quilys with old blankets and they work great! But these are my tie quilts.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by blzzrdqueen
When making pot holders, can I use regular batting or should a special batting be used?
I've used regular batting but used two layers of it and they work fine.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by blzzrdqueen
Originally Posted by QuiltswithConvicts
I use regular Warm & Natural. Insulbright is also something you could use. I have it and have used it, but I prefer W&N.
That's what I have, Warm and Natural, but it seems kind of thin, I made one potholder and tested it on a hot pan but I could still feel the heat. Should I double up the batting?
Use 2 layers.