Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: About pressing seams

I press to the side MOST times. Sometime when paperpicing and there are many seams I will press them open, especially when working with 3" and 4" blocks.

Blog Entries
    I press to one side.

Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    One of the reasons for pressing to the side is so the batting won't find a way out of the seam. Also, if there isn't a lot of quilting over the seam, it could open up.

Most of the time I press to the side and I try to plan my seams so they nest row by row. Sometimes, I press open - when the seams get just too thick and unwielding.
    I agree with pressing to one side. I can match up squares easier if they butt up against each other. Not sure I explained that well...

Blog Entries
    [quote=kwendt]
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltsRfun
    Personally, I also like it because if later on, during use... a seam is strained... the white fluffy stuff won't show or leak through the strained seam. 'Cause the seam is covered by one layer of fabric either pressed to the left or to the right.

Um... ask me how I know.... :oops:
    This is exactly how I feel!! I don't want to trust thread to hold if it is strained at all. I built to last but will press open if there is no other option to reduce bulk.

Depends on the need of the bulk reduction or butting of seams etc., as either way is acceptable.

Blog Entries
    I press to the dark side whenever possible due to batting "leaking" through and also for strength of the seam. Think about pulling on a seam that's been pressed open as opposed to pressed to a side. Stronger when pressed to the side.

Power Poster
    Pressing to one side towards the darker color is the most popular choice.

Although I open seams for clothing, I generally press to the side as I find the open seams, over time, tend to open up the tiniest bit and a bit of batting eases out unless you use very tiny stitches. When the seam is pressed to the side, it sort of covers up the seam.

I press to the dark side

It depends on the psttern for me. I'm with "qltncat" about the block dictating what to do.

Blog Entries
    I started pressing ALL of my seams opened after doing the 14" Bear Paw blocks (one block had over 100 pieces). For me I have more accurate and flatter blocks. I've also spoke to the person doing my LA'ing and she agrees that it's easier to quilt when pressed open.

Dear quilter, I have two machines. I use one to stitch the initial seams and use a wooden dowel and open all of them, of course, I eventually have to iron them as well. The machine I use for quilting has the even feed foot and because I have initially opened all the seams the machine works much better with a lot less problems stitching. It takes a little more time to do this, but a lot less shrieking as the poor machine tries to quilting over too many layers. God bless and give this a try. Quilting Joan

Glad you mentioned strength of seam. I was just going to say that. I think with the seams being pressed open, it would cause more chance of the seam splitting open. Pressed to the side won't.

Quote Originally Posted by liese
    Glad you mentioned strength of seam. I was just going to say that. I think with the seams being pressed open, it would cause more chance of the seam splitting open. Pressed to the side won't.
    Stress on a seam is ....stress on a seam ... pressing one way or another does not help. If in fact it was an issue , the fabric could tear then before the thread , I would rather repair a seam then a tear in the fabric.
    Test it for yourself on a sample !

I press to the dark unless I'm paper piecing, then I press open to reduce bulk.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2