Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: About pressing seams

Do you press your seams to one side or do you press them opened? I have been pressing them to one side, but am now wondering if that's right?

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I think pressing to one side is the most commonly used method. Of course, there are exceptions. You may need to press open to reduce bulk at times. I'm also sure someone will answer that they always press seams open. It all boils down to you have to ask question, listen to advice and try things to figure out what works for you.

Blog Entries
    Most of the time I press to one side but occasionally pressing open works better to reduce the bulk. Do whatever works for you. We're generally a pretty easy going group here and won't call the quilt police if you don't follow the "rules." Actually, we have just one rule - There are not rules. LOL

it's easier to press away from points if possible
    flat (open) seams help to have flat blocks
    stitch in the ditch is easier if pressed to the side
    so there's your answer! LOL, what ever works best at the time ;-)

Don't press your seams open if you are hand-piecing, as there is a reasonably high chance that batting fibres will migrate through the gaps between stitches. Otherwise, go for what suits you.

To the dark side! I press to the dark!

I usually press to the dark fabric. On my Stack and Whack blocks I was taught by a friend to press open. It made a world of difference in the way the block laid when it was finished. I think it depends on the block you are making.

It's worth knowing that while pressing to the dark side is a good idea when possible, it isn't always practical. It depends on the pattern. So try not to use really thin fabrics if they're lights, unless you can guarantee in advance that you will never need to press a seam with a darker fabric under them.

on side unless it's my binding...then open and press

I think it depends on the block you are making.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
    -----------------------------------
    Yup, what she said.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltsRfun
    Most of the time I press to one side but occasionally pressing open works better to reduce the bulk. Do whatever works for you. We're generally a pretty easy going group here and won't call the quilt police if you don't follow the "rules." Actually, we have just one rule - There are not rules. LOL
    lol.... so true. Most of the directions for making quilts that I've seen so far, all have piecing seams pressed to the sides either one way or the other, so that when the rest of the piecing get's sewn together, the seams alternate and 'lock' to make sewing matching points easier.

Personally, I also like it because if later on, during use... a seam is strained... the white fluffy stuff won't show or leak through the strained seam. 'Cause the seam is covered by one layer of fabric either pressed to the left or to the right.

Um... ask me how I know.... :oops:

Banned
    Blog Entries
    yep you are supposed to press to the dark but often if the pattern calls for a certain direction for pressing you need to follow that. Or if both fabrics are light, I just press open!

Blog Entries
    Yes, I've read somewhere, that if you are machine piecing, pressing open is fine. But as Lobster, said, and what I read, that when hand piecing you should not press seams open because of weaker seams and migrating batting. And there are always exceptions and better ways to do things depending on what you are making and what results you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobster
    Don't press your seams open if you are hand-piecing, as there is a reasonably high chance that batting fibres will migrate through the gaps between stitches. Otherwise, go for what suits you.

I let the block dictate the press. I just finished a baby quilt with pinwheels, and they laid best when the seams were pressed open.

While sitting at my machine, prior to going to the iron, I "finger press" with a wooden iron. This easily shows me how the fabric will behave. To me, it's useless to press fabric in any direction that it doesn't want to go in.

Linda

Well , for four decades I have pressed the majority of my seams open. None of my quilts have had issues. Its a preference thing. I like a Really, really flat block.
    As far a batting coming through the seams, that might be true if you used a batting that was not well bonded , or did not have a scrim.

Blog Entries
    One of the reasons for pressing to the side is so the batting won't find a way out of the seam. Also, if there isn't a lot of quilting over the seam, it could open up.

Most of the time I press to the side and I try to plan my seams so they nest row by row. Sometimes, I press open - when the seams get just too thick and unwielding.

Same here!

Sometimes, it is helpful to press them open (not often_ When you do, you will have to backstitch at the beginning and end of each seam or they will come apart.

I mostley press to one side but if needed to reduce bulk I press open. Do what ever works best for the project.

Personally, I press seams open. I've found if I press to the side, but blocks don't come out to the size they're supposed to. Usually always come out to size pressed open...but it's whatever works for you. Have fun experimenting!

I press to the side and let the desige tell me which way.

generally to one side, toward the dark fabric unless the instructions state other wise

I always press to the dark side, however when I am using a heavy fabric, such as denim, I will press the seams open...(butterfly)

I press to the dark side also.

Cheers, K

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast