Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
? about quilt dimension >

? about quilt dimension

? about quilt dimension

Old 01-23-2011, 07:33 AM

My vote is for no pillow tuck - - pillow shams, if you have sufficient fabric would be nice. Also,I totally concur with Coyote Quilts. Border on two sides and the bottom but not the top will give it a little extra length but definitely more width. Also, the final border does not have to be the same size for the length vs. width.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:40 AM

Turn your quilt so the leagth of the quilt goes from side to side or the width of your bed. That way if you use pillow shams and not put it over your pillows it will fit your bed better. I use this meathod alot and it works out good.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:44 AM

Thank you ladies for all your suggestions. My original plan was to put the on-point strip around three sides with a wider strip of the peachy sashing fabric, probably 5" wide like the charms used on the top as a bottom border. I really like my quilts to drop to the bottom of the mattress. This is the first rectangle quilt for me, I usually make square, they seem to be easier. LOL, for me anyway! I'm not really liking the pillow tuck idea, don't really know why, probably just not used to seeing it in a while. It would take care of needing pillow shams though.

Terryl, no offense taken, I asked for a critique of the quilt and appreciate all suggestions. I'm new at quilting, two years this month and still finding my way. Quilting is just like anything else, it always looks simple until you get into it, lots to learn.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:22 AM
Power Poster

It is a beautiful quilt. Whether to pillow tuck or not is strictly up to you, but I do think that the pattern looks very nice with the tuck. It sounds like you're well on your way to adding more width, and have some good ideas for it. Don't forget that the quilt will shrink up a little bit when it's quilted, and a little more when it's washed.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:00 AM
Power Poster

I don't think you have to wrap a quilt around the pillows. It is totally a personal preference :D:D:D