Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
about rag quilting >

about rag quilting

about rag quilting

Old 12-12-2009, 05:47 PM

I wonder also!

I have seen ones done in flannel, that stuff frays like mad dont it???
are there patterns/methods for cotton or a certain way to stitch it?
Old 12-12-2009, 06:00 PM

I have used flannel, cotton and homespun and never had any problem of them fraying past the seam line. I only sew one line of regular length stitching.
I make my sandwich...backing, batting and front fabric and stitch diagonally in both directions to hold the pieces together.

I have used all combinations of fabrics. Flannel & cotton, cotton & homespun, and some with the same type of fabric for front & back.
Old 12-12-2009, 06:30 PM

I'm making two right now--and have made many in the past--no troubles. Straight stitch. When snipping--stop before the seam and you'll be fine.
Old 12-12-2009, 06:39 PM
Power Poster

I think all of the forced fraying, tangles and interweaves the ends and helps stop further fraying, too.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:55 AM

I have made several also and use a stitch on my machine that does a double and never had problems.
They are so cozy. I took a class and made a raggy jacket pattern but only used reg stitching . I`m axious to wear as I`ve been waiting for black flannel at the quilt store for binding which finaly came in.
Gale
Will post picture under pictures
Old 12-13-2009, 07:37 AM

ANOTHER RAGG QUESTION:
Does anyone know of a source for calculating yardage needed for different sized ragg quilts> I know it differs depending on size of quilt, size of blocks & size of seam. There must be a chart somewhere?!?!?! but I can't find it.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:23 AM

There are actually a few patterns out there that would give you measurements. Take the size you want the quilt and squares to be and any LQS will be happy to figure it out for you. All of the rag quilts I have given out are loved ,washed,washed..... Since most are flannel, , they are so soft. I am doing one for a toddler now that my strips are the width of a 6 inch ruler and length of the fabric. They are fun and quick, just make sure to get the snip type scissors to save your hands. Have fun, jump in,oh yes, take it to the laundrymat for its first wash/drying, due to all the lint...
Old 12-13-2009, 10:46 AM

AnnaMarie, get a pad of 1/4 rule graph paper and chart your quilt out using the square to equal certain sizes. If you want 6 in finished block, 1 square on the paper would = 2 inches.
you don't have to be exact...draw lines down and across to represent your 6 in blocks. Then count the block you would need to make whatever size you want. Remember to add in the seam allowances.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:54 PM

I cut 7" squares to start--using a 1/2" seam they are 6" finished. I can make 10 quilted blocks--or 20 squares from one yard of flannel. I usually make scrapy ones, but recently needed to know how much fabric to get for two gifts, and I had no idea. So, I paid attention when cutting. Hope that gives you a starting place.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by annmarie
ANOTHER RAGG QUESTION:
Does anyone know of a source for calculating yardage needed for different sized ragg quilts> I know it differs depending on size of quilt, size of blocks & size of seam. There must be a chart somewhere?!?!?! but I can't find it.
FREE Rag Quilting Basics Tutorial
http://www.sewpractical.com/store/Ws...t=FreePatterns