Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
about rag quilting >

about rag quilting

about rag quilting

Old 12-14-2009, 08:28 AM
Power Poster

The only thing I don't like about making rag quilts is cutting the batting into squares. I have the die cut machine with rag die and I still have to cut the batting to fit. I wish batting companies would sell batting in several sizes of squares.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
The only thing I don't like about making rag quilts is cutting the batting into squares.
I turn my mat to the back side and cut my batting there. That way I don't get those fuzzies on my cutting surface. I use warn & natural and it isn't all that hard to cut. I use the wide bat, fold it into 4th and cut across the width I need and then subcut into squares. You can get a lot of squares in little time that way.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:16 AM
Power Poster

I usually buy the smallest size package batting, as many as I need so it's easier to handle. Me and king size batting is not a pretty sight. :lol:
Old 12-14-2009, 10:02 AM

I have made several rag quilts for my family and as gifts. I have never had one come undone. I like using flannel because the edges rag up so fluffy. I have used 100% cotton with flannel in between for the batting.

When I am short on money for batting, I bought a $4 blanket from Walmart and tused it for the batting. It was just as soft as the ones I used Warm and Natural on.

Another tip is about scissors. Heritage cutlery makes a pair of scissors just for rag quilting. They cut like a knife through warm butter and do not cause stress at all to your poor hands. I love mine.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:40 AM

My first quilts were rag using primitive colors. I sold them as table runners and throws. They were so much fun to make and people loved them. Now I'm quilting pieced patterns.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:52 AM
Power Poster

I am thinking of making some with 3 layers of flannel, no batting. It does not get that cold out here normally.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
The only thing I don't like about making rag quilts is cutting the batting into squares. I have the die cut machine with rag die and I still have to cut the batting to fit. I wish batting companies would sell batting in several sizes of squares.
Your rag die didn't come with a batting die?? I only have the square die, but I have a batting die that matches it. I can't imagine making a rag quilt with a die cut machine. I think my fingers would fall off from cutting all that fringe!!!
Rose Hall
Old 12-14-2009, 11:08 AM

BellaBoo and Rose Hall - do you use the "GO" to cut your squares? Do you like it? Is there much waste of fabric when cutting with the dies? I've been looking at those for quite a while.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by burnsk
BellaBoo and Rose Hall - do you use the "GO" to cut your squares? Do you like it? Is there much waste of fabric when cutting with the dies? I've been looking at those for quite a while.
Hi! I have the Studio model because I cut fabric for people into custom kits. I cut rag squares for 10 cents each. I can't imagine doing a rag quilt any other way. Right now I only have the square that finishes to 6 1/2", but hope to add more as the need arises.

Rose Hall
Custom Quilt Kits
Old 12-15-2009, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by amma
I am thinking of making some with 3 layers of flannel, no batting. It does not get that cold out here normally.
Amma, I just made my first rag quilt, for my 2 year old grandson, using 3 layers of flannel. It's plenty heavy! Two layers would probably be enough for a lightweight quilt.