Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Accuquilt GO cutter? >

Accuquilt GO cutter?

Accuquilt GO cutter?

Old 03-06-2013, 05:31 PM

I love my GO and have used it quite a lot. I am sure that I will use it quite a lot in the future. You don't have to pay top prices, search the web to find the best prices for both the GO and the dies. Somehow I managed to get my GO at a garage sale - amazing! I have purchased dies from individuals (craigslist) and from sales from different companies on the internet.
I would recommend the GO for anyone who quilts. It is also very nice for cutting blocks for trades.

Last edited by serenitybygrace; 03-06-2013 at 05:34 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:33 PM

I have the GO. To be honest, I quit using it for strips even though I have possible every size. Mine seems to get a wrinkle about half way through and it frustrates me, so I just cut them with the rotary cutter most of the time now. I like the shapes for applique, but lately I can't find the time to work on any applique anyway.

I got mine at Joanns a few years ago. I think it was on sale for 199. Sometimes Joanns has discontinued dies on clearance for a really good price. I've gotten several off Amazon as well. When possible, I ask the LQS that sells GO products to match the Amazon price and if they do, I'll buy from them.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:55 AM

just got mine off of HSN. Ordered some dies at the same time and the one thing that ticked me off was realizing I needed to buy the mats for each size separately. Can't use the strip cutter until the mat arrives. The die should come with one - JMO.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:34 AM
Power Poster

You only need the mat to cover the blades, not the whole die. I use a small mat on a big die all the time. The strip die is the only one that has to have the right size mat to work. When my big strip die mat gets cracked I cut it to fit other die shapes. I have also used old rotary cutting mats cut to fit. I don't baby the Go, I try all kinds of stuff with it. It's about 6 years old and still works like new.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:18 AM

I bought the go baby in September and have yet to use it. I even bought a number of dies for it.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:32 AM

I use mine mostely for cutting 2 1/2 inch strips and squares. Love the fact the strips are straight. I have the tumbler die. I use it to cut my scraps and some day (soon) I will have enough tumblers for a scrap quilt. I have the wedding ring dies and plan on using them soon. Love the speed of the cutting and accuracy.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:51 PM

I use mine all the time! Especially for cutting strips as I NEVER can cut straight with the rotary cutter. My ruler always slips on me. Don't have to worry about that with the go cutter!!
Old 03-07-2013, 01:00 PM
Power Poster

Even if I have a scrap that won't fit over the die shape on straight of grain I place it where it will fit and always have a nice cut.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:37 PM

My husband got me one for Christmas and I have used it once, mainly because I don't have any dies yet. However, the one time I have used it I was MAJORLY impressed with how quickly I was able to cut all the fabric! I purchased the DWR die this weekend, and should have it next week, so I will let you know how it goes.

As far as the dies to get, for me the top list has been the 6 1/2 in block, the DWR die set and the 2 1/2 in strips. Part of the trouble with the DWR pattern is making sure everything is cut just right- this seems like it will save me a lot of trouble. The 2 1/2 strips will let me do jelly roll quilts and make my own binding pretty easily. I also want the Tumbler die, and the drunkards path...

I think it also depends on if you do alot of applique or more traditional quilts. I agonized over buying the DWR die because it is so expensive- but I also have 3 weddings this year and all of them want a quilt as a gift. So I feel I will get my moneys worth out of it. I don't do as much applique as some, so a lot of those dies are useless to me. Same with some of the traditional patterns if you are only planning on making it once or twice.

Has anyone ever considered an Accuquilt die rental? Or maybe a swap every now and then? If you know of any let me know!