Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Accuquilt GO cutter?

Accuquilt GO cutter?

I am looking at purchasing the GO cutter but wanted to ask you all a few questions first please.
    (1) if you have a GO do you really use it? In other words is it worth purchasing?
    (2) what dies do you use most?
    (3) if you have/had one and don't use it or sold it, why? What about it didn't you like?
    (4) best prices on dies?

Thanks everyone,
    Have a very blessed day!
    LaQuita (aka) - Yai-Yai to the most precious grandbaby around of course I'm partial! LOL

HAPPY QUILTING!
    www.caringbridge.org/visit/shea

I absolutely LOVE my Go Cutter..I did only plan to purchase dies that were hard to cut with a rotary cutter such as drunkards path,double wedding ring etc but have purchased 2 1/2 strip cutter & rag dies with more to come...I love them all. Our prices are different here in Australia so cant advise you on that one.

I just ordered mine, well actually the Go Baby one. I think I will just use the basic ones. Like the squares, triangles and rectangles, boring I know. I also figure since my niece is now interested in sewing. I can send her some homemade charm packs to experiment with.

I also took under consideration how much I would be using it. I opted for the small version as opposed to the more expensive one.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)

I have a Baby Go and I have used it. I am not interested in piecing so I only purchased the applique dies. A member of my quilt guild is a dealer and she sells to us at a 25% discount. I make mostly Linus quilts and I like to decorate them with the child friendly appliques. I first apply fusable web to the back of the fabric before I run it through the Go. Then all I have to do is iron it on my project and sew it around the edge to permanetly attach it to the quilt. If my grandchildren were younger or when I start to have greats I will find a whole lot more to do with it. I will admit that like many of the gadgets I have purchased I only use it in fits and starts.

Does anyone know if you can get better pricing on this at Quilt shows? Going to the show in Paducah this year (my first) and wondering if I should hold off on purchasing?

I have the go and the studio cutters I love them. Purchase the dies that you will use most and then add to your supply as go along.

Blog Entries
    I have a Go Baby and love it. I've done a lot of triangles and circles. I wish I could get the Rob Peter, Pay Paul die, but it's too big for the Baby. If you like precuts, there's a die that will cut 2.25" strips. That one seems to be very popular.

The best price on dies anywhere is a Yahoo group called pinsandneedles1. The group owner sells them at a price that cannot be beat, including shipping.

Blog Entries
    The Go is as important to me as my sewing machine. My newest die is the ribbon die. It makes a great border. I use the tumbler and rag die the most. I also use the 2 1/2 square die and strip die a lot. I usually buy a new die to make the shape I need for a quilt pattern. I keep a stock of mats on hand. When I find a sale I stock up. The circle die is a fun one to have.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    I have the big Studio cutter, my sister has the Go!. I was impressed with how sturdy the smaller machine was. I don't do applique, so the dies that I have are lots of geometrics (triangles and squares) and strip cutters. I also purchased the dies for 2 curved pieced quilts, Winding Ways and Drunkard's Path. I cannot imagine cutting either of these last 2 quilt by hand!
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

I have a GO and many dies...some appliqué but mostly geometric for piecing and of course the strips are great......I have found an excellent source. A yahoo group called pinsandneedles1. You have to join the group but you will learn a lot from the members.

I love my GO and have used it quite a lot. I am sure that I will use it quite a lot in the future. You don't have to pay top prices, search the web to find the best prices for both the GO and the dies. Somehow I managed to get my GO at a garage sale - amazing! I have purchased dies from individuals (craigslist) and from sales from different companies on the internet.
    I would recommend the GO for anyone who quilts. It is also very nice for cutting blocks for trades.
    Last edited by serenitybygrace; 03-06-2013 at 05:34 PM.

I have the GO. To be honest, I quit using it for strips even though I have possible every size. Mine seems to get a wrinkle about half way through and it frustrates me, so I just cut them with the rotary cutter most of the time now. I like the shapes for applique, but lately I can't find the time to work on any applique anyway.

I got mine at Joanns a few years ago. I think it was on sale for 199. Sometimes Joanns has discontinued dies on clearance for a really good price. I've gotten several off Amazon as well. When possible, I ask the LQS that sells GO products to match the Amazon price and if they do, I'll buy from them.

just got mine off of HSN. Ordered some dies at the same time and the one thing that ticked me off was realizing I needed to buy the mats for each size separately. Can't use the strip cutter until the mat arrives. The die should come with one - JMO.
    ​Nancy

Blog Entries
    You only need the mat to cover the blades, not the whole die. I use a small mat on a big die all the time. The strip die is the only one that has to have the right size mat to work. When my big strip die mat gets cracked I cut it to fit other die shapes. I have also used old rotary cutting mats cut to fit. I don't baby the Go, I try all kinds of stuff with it. It's about 6 years old and still works like new.
    Got fabric?

I bought the go baby in September and have yet to use it. I even bought a number of dies for it.
    Do what you love, love what you do!

I use mine mostely for cutting 2 1/2 inch strips and squares. Love the fact the strips are straight. I have the tumbler die. I use it to cut my scraps and some day (soon) I will have enough tumblers for a scrap quilt. I have the wedding ring dies and plan on using them soon. Love the speed of the cutting and accuracy.
    Sophie2

I use mine all the time! Especially for cutting strips as I NEVER can cut straight with the rotary cutter. My ruler always slips on me. Don't have to worry about that with the go cutter!!
    Deb
    Handle all stressful situations like a dog..... if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away!

Blog Entries
    Even if I have a scrap that won't fit over the die shape on straight of grain I place it where it will fit and always have a nice cut.
    Got fabric?

My husband got me one for Christmas and I have used it once, mainly because I don't have any dies yet. However, the one time I have used it I was MAJORLY impressed with how quickly I was able to cut all the fabric! I purchased the DWR die this weekend, and should have it next week, so I will let you know how it goes.

As far as the dies to get, for me the top list has been the 6 1/2 in block, the DWR die set and the 2 1/2 in strips. Part of the trouble with the DWR pattern is making sure everything is cut just right- this seems like it will save me a lot of trouble. The 2 1/2 strips will let me do jelly roll quilts and make my own binding pretty easily. I also want the Tumbler die, and the drunkards path...

I think it also depends on if you do alot of applique or more traditional quilts. I agonized over buying the DWR die because it is so expensive- but I also have 3 weddings this year and all of them want a quilt as a gift. So I feel I will get my moneys worth out of it. I don't do as much applique as some, so a lot of those dies are useless to me. Same with some of the traditional patterns if you are only planning on making it once or twice.

Has anyone ever considered an Accuquilt die rental? Or maybe a swap every now and then? If you know of any let me know!