Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Accuquilt

I posted a few days ago, but have some new ?'s If you had to choose, would you get a studio or a GO for home use. My husband thinks the Go is a little too small and poorly made and that it would break down pretty easily. I'm having a hard time justifying the studio. If there are opinions either way, please let me know and why. Thanks girls, I can always count on good advice,

Quote Originally Posted by quiltin amma
    I posted a few days ago, but have some new ?'s If you had to choose, would you get a studio or a GO for home use. My husband thinks the Go is a little too small and poorly made and that it would break down pretty easily. I'm having a hard time justifying the studio. If there are opinions either way, please let me know and why. Thanks girls, I can always count on good advice,
    I plan on getting this :
    http://www.quiltcut.com/products_quiltcut2.html

I am not to keen on the Accuquilt system, although alot of people swear by them.

This might be helpful:
    http://lovebugstudios.blogspot.com/2...dio-or-go.html

http://forums.about.com/n/pfx/forum....ting&tid=60800

http://www.sewforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=123797

I see there is also an Accuquilt group on Yahoo that might be worth checking out. I'd love to live somewhere that I could take one for a 'test drive' before making a financial committment like that.

Hope you find exactly what you want!

I have the Alto cutting board that Chasing Hawk is going to get and I love it.I have had it for 7 years and it has stood up to moving from Colorado and alot of use.I need to replace the mat but besides that I love it.

Go for the studio if you can afford it. I think it has more dies available.

I like cutting with my rotary, just me.
    But I can an entire quilt out while sitting.

I plan on getting this :
    http://www.quiltcut.com/products_quiltcut2.html

I am not to keen on the Accuquilt system, although alot of people swear by them.[/quote]

Thanks for the site, I have not seen this one and I think I would benefit more with this one. Especially not having to purchase all those extra pieces.

I just got the Studio, locally and it was used so I saved a bunch. Keep your eye on the Accuquilt site as they go on sale occasionally. FYI I got the Grande Mark which is the same exact machine as the Studio, but sold under a different name to paper crafters by Accucut. It's on sale right now. If you go to the accucut site you'll see what I mean. It takes the same exact dies as the Studio and is the EXACT same machine with a different label. Hope this helps save you some $ if you go this route.

You'll have to decide if you want a permanent fixture that's more sturdy with a lifetime warranty or a cheaper, smaller and portable machine with a limited warranty. Many people have the Go and are happy with it. I love my Studio!

I have the Go, could never affod the Studio, but if I did have the money, I would rather have the Studio. There are alot more dies for it!

Blog Entries
    Here's a link to the Accuquilt users group:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/accucu...guid=269586551

There are group members there who have the Go and members who have the Studio. Which one to choose is a common question that comes up there.

I have the Go and, with my setup and the amount of quilting I do, it is a much better purchase for me. You need dedicated space for the Studio because it is heavy and cannot be easily moved. I can close up my Go when not using it, and it has a very small footprint for storage in my sewing closet. It is lightweight and easy to move around. It is plenty sturdy and should not break easily; I haven't seen anyone mention it breaking, no matter how many quilts they have cut out with it. It was a little stiff to crank when I first got it, but now I can roll 4 layers of fabric through easily. I honestly don't need every single die that is made for the Go, much less for the Studio, so I don't feel I am missing out on anything. You can take the Go to retreats, friend's houses, etc.

A lot depends on whether you have the space to dedicate to the Studio, on how many quilts you cut out per year, and also on how wide a variety of quilts you are interested in making. For me, the Go has a much better return-on-investment than the Studio.

After much thinking and research I went with the Quilt cut two, very sturdy and will last for many years. It was a real blessing for me as I have never been able to master accruate cutting and also have neck and back problems that this has helped with.

Rae

Blog Entries
    I have the Alto Quilt Cut 2 and the Accucut Go. I bought the Go instead of the studio because realistically I make about 6 - 8 nice pieced quilts a year. The Studio would be over kill for me. The Go is very well made. I would buy it again. The Go dies are cheaper then the Studio dies. If I knew I was going to do mass cuttings I'd get the Studio. I don't take my Go to groups for everyone to use. I feel it's a personal machine. The Go is easy to store, the Studio needs a large space. And if I decide I need the Studio I'll have the Go to be portable. The Alto Quilt Cut2 is nice but very heavy. I still had trouble getting accurate cuts with it. I don't know if it is me or the mat. You have to use the lines on the cutting mat to measure. I never get the same cut twice. The fabric holder on the cutting board is great. I took the cutting guide off and use the board with a regular ruler. For the price of a new Alto I'd get the Go and the larger June Taylor Shape Cut. I love my Go, no more pains from cutting and every die cut is the exact same size.

I have fibromyalgia which makes some of my days better than others. Does the Alto Quilt cut use more muscles (does this make sense)? I'm looking for something that I can use to make accurate cut strips, square and triangles without a lot of effort. What I really need is a quiltin' buddy who only loves to cut!!

I have both the quilt cut 2 and the studio. I use them both religiously. I have been blessed with a DH that wants me to have only the best of tools. If I can help anyone please let me know and I'll give it my best shot.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Caroltee
    I have both the quilt cut 2 and the studio. I use them both religiously. I have been blessed with a DH that wants me to have only the best of tools. If I can help anyone please let me know and I'll give it my best shot.
    You can help by lending us all your dh. Please. :mrgreen:

Quote Originally Posted by gale
    Ha!

I have the GO! and love it! It is a blessing! I did have soem minor problems with the 5" squares at first, not cutting the same size, but called them and figured out what my defecit was...it was me! (I figured that much)
    My hubby is like Caroltee's, likes me to have a lot of tools! I don't mind....I accept graciously!

Quote Originally Posted by gale
    Wish i could clone him Then I would :)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltin amma
    I have fibromyalgia which makes some of my days better than others. Does the Alto Quilt cut use more muscles (does this make sense)? I'm looking for something that I can use to make accurate cut strips, square and triangles without a lot of effort. What I really need is a quiltin' buddy who only loves to cut!!
    The Accuquilt Go! cuts very accurate strips, squares and triangles. The triangles are especially nice because the corners are lopped off, making matching easier. You have to hand crank the die/fabric/mat through the machine. I don't know how difficult that would be for someone with fibromyalgia. Mine was harder to crank at first and loosened up with use.

Don't know about the Quilt Cut 2; that is a different type of system which is rotary cutter based. The Accuquilt Go! is die cut based. I'm pretty sure Youtube has video demonstrations of both systems.