Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Accuquilt users please help. >

Accuquilt users please help.

Accuquilt users please help.

Old 08-03-2017, 05:57 PM

some of the triangle dies can cut 3 or 4 units at a time - just sew the right sides of two strips on both lengthwise edges, place them carefully on to the triangle die, cut, and you have pieced half square triangles to put into your quilt. After you've done it a few times you can really reduce waste, too.

You can also use the strip dies in a similar manner to make strip pieced blocks, like you do with jelly rolls. I happen to love checker board quilts, so the strip cutters get lots of use! I also cut the strips for 1/2 square triangles using the strip dies.

Last edited by cathyvv; 08-03-2017 at 06:16 PM.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:08 PM

Sharply press the fabric fold in order to reduce the likelihood of the "elbow" in the strip. I have the studio; the problem happens with it, as well, pressing the fold helps immensely. Another thing I have discovered is that 'fan-folding' the fabric often causes the fabric to shift. If you press the folds sharply before you use the strip cutter, there is much less chance of fabric shift.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:33 PM

Thanks to so many of you for all your advice. I have learned a lot from all of you. Thank you.
Old 08-04-2017, 05:03 AM

I use the strip dies the most, do have some others that I have not tried yet. I starch and iron my fabric prior to cutting. Sometimes when I am trying to get the most cuts that I can from a piece of fabric, I cut it just outside of the cutting line on the die. That way I don't have the folded edge, way less stretching. I love the go. I have the manual one, probably will not get the electric until my arm gets too weak to turn the crank!
Old 08-04-2017, 05:20 AM

I think this is a personal taste only. I use the strip cutters, the equilateral die, the 5" and 2.5" dies the very most. I just bought the 3/6.5 " brick die that I think I will use a great deal too.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:02 AM

I have the Studio2 and I took a different route... rather than get the strip dies, I buy the shapes that I use the most -- HSTs, squares, 1/4-square triangles, triangle-in-a-square. I consider these my puzzle pieces and the accuracy is spot-on. I love scrap quilts and use these pieces all the time.

For the HSTs, I take 2 fabrics, right-sides together, and then stack a few layers. I can then chain those through the sewing machine quite fast. For the squares, especially small ones like 1.5", 10 layers of fabric will give me 160 squares with one pass.

I do like some of the specialty dies too -- tumblers, Winding Ways, elongated hexi.

I don't know what I did before getting this. Cutting took forever! I would rather spend more time sewing and less time cutting.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:15 AM

I have a Studio, and could not do without it for cutting. My most used dies are the strip dies. I use the 1/4" and 3/4" strip dies to cut rag rug strips and fusibles. Work perfectly every time. Also own rag dies for making rag quilts - invaluable. Don't think you can go wrong with the Studio; it serves me very well.
Old 08-04-2017, 12:38 PM

I've had my Studio for about 10 years and since they are having more Studio sales I have added to my collection. I have the 12 inch and the 8 inch "set" and then many curved and regular dies.
I am currently paper piecing a queen size quilt where 90% of the blocks are 1 inch.
So I ordered the half square triangle which cuts 8 at a time and it is a dream in cutting all my fabrics - I hardly have Any waste and it is so easy cutting all that fabric.
Karensue
Old 08-07-2017, 08:00 AM

I just saw this post so I am late in replying. I have both the Studio 2 and the Go! crank style. One is home bound here in NM and the other is at our condo in Florida. I love the Studio! I have a ton of dies for it and find the more quilts I make the more I use the dies I never thought I would. I have the adapter so I can use my Go dies in it and then take them back to the condo with me each winter.