Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Accuquilt users please help. >

Accuquilt users please help.

Accuquilt users please help.

Old 08-02-2017, 01:36 PM

How fun!

I have the 12" die set and purchased them before the cubes were available. Plus I have strips and different applique dies.

Here is the free download to quilt block patterns. We did a 12 block quilt in class that was fun!

http://www.accuquilt.com/shop/patter...ock-ideas.html

Some dies also have embroidery design files available. ex. Umbrellas, Cars, Snowflakes.

http://www.accuquilt.com/shop/notion...y-designs.html

Enjoy!
Old 08-02-2017, 02:33 PM

All of you make me glad I asked about this. I had no idea that some dies have embroidery design files that can be purchased to work with the die. That would be wonderful. I am still making my list, so all advice is appreciated.
Old 08-02-2017, 03:20 PM

I got the studio cutter and a handful of strip die and the Take Five die. They have this BOGO sale and then a regular 50% off any die before Christmas. I had used one at a quilt shop years ago after I became a Bonnie Hunter Scrappy quilter. Hope you enjoy your cutter!
Old 08-02-2017, 03:20 PM

I have seen many people say not to go overboard buying dies. I don't necessarily agree. It depends on your style. I find that I use my cutter more now that I have more dies. I am not a long term planner when it comes to my quilting. If I want to make something, I'm not going to wait a week for the die to be delivered, I'll just rotary cut it. But I love that I can make a sampler quilt with the dies I have. I do have dies that I haven't used yet, I also have fabric I haven't used yet. To me, it is the same. Those dies will be there when I am ready for them.
I highly recommend keeping an organized list of which dies you have. My list is on my phone. If I am looking at a pattern or shopping for dies, I can know very quickly what I have.
Old 08-02-2017, 03:27 PM

I used the 2" die to make a quilt with over 1600 pieces in it. I made it out of scraps and the die made it much easier than cutting out these pieces when I could just place a lot of scraps on the die and cut away.
Old 08-02-2017, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Feathers-N-Fur View Post
I highly recommend keeping an organized list of which dies you have. My list is on my phone. If I am looking at a pattern or shopping for dies, I can know very quickly what I have.
Yes, keep a list of your dies. You can also register them in the A*ccuquilt site. Easy to check your list when you find a sale.
Old 08-02-2017, 03:57 PM

First of all, I have the electric go, bought after I hand cranked a double sized grandmothers hexagon quilt, Never again. I'm a scrappy quilter, so my #1 die is the 2.5" multiple square cutter the most. But I use all the multiple squares and multiple triangles. Anything I trade or swap is accuquilt cut, like a multiple 5" die. When they run a BOGO i buy more. I have most of the piecing and strip dies. I love mine.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:37 PM

I use my strip die bundle all the time--probably every quilt, even if it's just cutting the binding. I also have a 12" Qube and Qube companion, of the single dies, the triangle in a square (like the tri-recs rulers) cause it makes them so precise.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:15 AM

I really only like the die cutters for shapes with curves or rag edges. I will never do a rag quilt without die-cutting the pieces first again! Never! I think I used up years of wear and tear on my hands trying to snip all those darn seams. For those pieces, the die cutter is a really really useful tool.

But for basic straight-sided pieces (especially strips), I've discovered I'm much faster and cut with less waste if I use one of my strip-cut rulers and my rotary blade.

Plus, I actually enjoy the cutting process most of the time. I like the precision of it, and the growing pile of perfectly cut pieces is very satisfying. It's a very zen thing for me.
Old 08-03-2017, 05:49 PM

Please, before you order any dies, check the compatibility of the dies with the Studio 2. Accuquilt has a page that tells you the compatibility.

I have a Studio, but honestly can't remember if it is a "2" or the original Studio. It is not electric. the majority of big strip dies made specifically for it are heavy. Even so, I have several different sizes 4, 4.5, 5 and 6.5 inches. They cut very nicely as long as you prepare your fabric the same way you prepare it for rotary cutting.

I also have several 1/2 square triangle dies. I really like the kind that allow you to cut several triangles at once, because I can sew 2 strips right sides together, cut, and have 3 or 4 sewn together 1/2 square triangles both cut and and pieced, ready to add to the quilt.

it is really helpful to have square dies, too. Don't go crazy on dies, though, until you have some experience using them. Buy them on sale and test each die as soon as you get it! Sometimes you get a defective one, so you want to know that asap- so you can return them.

good luck with your accuquilt; it has made quilting easier for me. Rotary cutting was literally a pain in my hands, elbows shoulders and neck.