Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Accurate cutting >

Accurate cutting

Accurate cutting

Old 04-30-2015, 05:59 AM

Couple things to remember when using your rotary cutter...does not cost anything... You cut only as far as your outstretched hand can reach & if using a thin (6" or less wide), put your pinkie off the opposite side from where you are cutting...this will stabilize the ruler.

One other tip I've found useful when cutting 4 layers or less... get a thin piece of quilter's tape (I use painters tape I've trimmed down...straight edge to the inside of the ruler) and put it along the 1/4" line on the ruler where it will be on the bottom/underside of the ruler, near the opposite/outer edge of the ruler...you can butt this up to the edge of the fabric and it will also help keep the cuts straight.

One thing that may be happening, and have nothing to do with your cutting...drifting when sewing...measure your stitched seams...do they seem to get a couple threads smaller as you get to the end of the piece you are stitching. If you notice that you are drifting...mark the very end of the pieces 1/4" in ...just a dot...it will let you know if you are drifting at all.
Old 04-30-2015, 06:04 AM

OK... is the too short/long happening mostly with longer pieces (6" or more)? If so, try a walking foot...You may be getting feed dog pull issues. Also try measuring the two sections before sewing, if they measure the same & one still seems longer...it's the pull of the machine. Try pinning the pieces at the end that will stitch last...lining up the start...and easing so that any possible fullness is distributed as you stitch.

Originally Posted by milly35 View Post
Thank you for the great feedback. I am not sure what I am doing wrong but some of my pieces are a little too long and then I'll find one too short. I am not really sure where I should be placing the measuring line. I too am short and my table is too tall and lighting not good so I really have a lot of work to do. I think I will go to the quilt shop and see if I can get some help.
Old 04-30-2015, 06:11 AM

That is why I bought my GO cutter. It doesn't cut perfectly every time, but it always cuts more perfect than I ever did.
Old 04-30-2015, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by milly35 View Post
I was doing some piecing tonight and realizing how inaccurate my cutting is - ugh.
Any tips for cutting accuracy?
The best idea I got to help with cutting is to put some kind of skid-grip on the bottom of my rulers. I bought little dots for mine, and even used the piece that framed the dots on one ruler. That keeps them from "creeping" while I am trying to cut. Also start with one or two layers until you can do that accurately, then work up to more layers. I will cut a maximum of four layers myself, anymore than that and my accuracy suffers. Others cut up to eight layers, but that just makes me waste fabric.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:39 AM
RST

I think you probably nailed the key issue with your observation that you're short and your table is too high. I've observed that people have trouble with good cuts when they are not above their work. See if you do better on a kitchen counter height, or a dining table. You don't want to have to bend over your work-- that's hard on your back, but you also want to be above it and using pressure from above, not laterally.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:56 AM
Power Poster

I usually only cut two layers - at the most - at a time.

Two reasons:

1) If I goof up, there is less waste
2) It is easier for me to be more accurate with only one or two layers.

True, it does take a bit longer to cut - but I enjoy cutting.

If you are short - some office/drafting tables have a height adjustment feature. I like my sewing machine surfaces to be a lot lower than a standard table.
Old 04-30-2015, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
I found I get the most accurate cutting when I starch my fabrics prior to cutting. It helps them to lay flat and not move as much when cutting. Give it a try on a piece ... it washes out so its not a permanent treatment. I was amazed how much my cutting improved when I starched prior to cutting.
It was after reading about starch on this board last year or so ago that I tried starch and have never looked back, what a difference it makes to all my quilting but cutting is fab.
Old 04-30-2015, 05:37 PM

I saw on one of the quilting PBS programs to turn the rotary mat over and not rely on any inch marked lines. I have always used the lines. I have not had an opportunity to see if this is a good tip.

I also use both left and right hands to cut. I have read recently that this can cause inaccuracy.
Old 05-01-2015, 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by ccthomas View Post
I saw on one of the quilting PBS programs to turn the rotary mat over and not rely on any inch marked lines. I have always used the lines. I have not had an opportunity to see if this is a good tip.

I also use both left and right hands to cut. I have read recently that this can cause inaccuracy.
I agree I have never EVER used the lines on the mat for guides they are nowhere near accurate enough so I only my rulers. I use Creative Grids make that have built in them non slip sections and I think this helps a lot as well. I think the size of ruler and how you stand or sit makes a lot of difference as well. Due to healthy problems I have taught myself to cut whilst sitting down. I have a really good office type chair with adjustable height, and very importantly good back support, I have a good Ott-lite daylight light and I press my fabrics with starch. I only use rulers up to 12.5" as the longer ones don't work when with sitting down. I have got used to cutting short lengths and quite often fold or cut through many layers but I can do so as I never try to save pennies by using a dull blade because it is a false saving when it doesn't cut right. (I keep my duller blades for cutting wadding etc.)

Milly35, there are a lot of useful tips from the wonderful quilters on this board just read through them and find what works for you, happy quilting.
Old 05-01-2015, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
This is what a friend of mine told me to do. Sort of complicated in writing, so much easier to show in person.
Sort of like the difference between reading the book or watching the movie........