Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice on choosing block size for Hunter's Star please >

Advice on choosing block size for Hunter's Star please

Advice on choosing block size for Hunter's Star please

Old 10-02-2014, 09:54 AM

I've made two Hunter Stars using Deb Tuckers method and ruler. I love both of them. I made believe I made 8" blocks. I always feel like the smaller the block, the nicer the quilt but its totally personal preference. If you are making half square triangles there are so many different methods to make them. Missouri Quilt Co. has a tutorial on them but I have purchased the Triangulations CD ($30) which you print out papers and sew on the line, they come out very accurate. That CD has HST and flying geese in every size and I feel as though its a good investment. Good luck with whatever you choose!
Old 12-28-2020, 01:22 PM

Default Hello I would love to make this !

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
It kind of depends on the look you want. Here is a comparison of the looks with the 8" blocks and the 12" blocks... very close in size.

could I please get the measurements on the 8 inch squares!?
Old 12-28-2020, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by JDandorf View Post
could I please get the measurements on the 8 inch squares!?
I'm assuming, since you already know that the squares are 8 inches, that you're really asking for measurements for the patches that make up the block?
That's actually difficult to do, because of the angles. We could tell you that this patch is 4.5 inches by 6.5 inches, and that patch is 8.125 inches by 2.125 inches, but you need to get the angles correct or it will be a wonky block and won't join nicely with it's neighbors.
Your best bet is to find a free pattern on the internet. Quilter's Cache has a free Hunter's Star block pattern, but it's for a 12" block. I'm sure if you hunted a little you will find an 8" finished block pattern. Good luck!