Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
advice for christmas gift >

advice for christmas gift

advice for christmas gift

Old 10-20-2010, 09:39 AM

How about a small journal book to track her projects?
Old 10-20-2010, 12:26 PM

If you have a baby lock dealer in your area they have a nice little machine for $99.00. They had the same deal last year and I got each of my grandaughters one. I believe it is the BL9. I have sewed with it and it is really nice. Would be nice for an extra machine to take to sewing classes.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:43 PM

As for a tool organizer, if she is close by and you can help her there are several good patterns out there, and you could get the fabric and pre-cut and then help her sew it as her first project. It will also teach her several skills at the same time.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:57 PM

Maybe a simple pattern for her to make. Like maybe enough material to make herself a pillow case for her bed.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:07 PM

I was given a toy sewing machine. it was not a good idea. buy her a good machine used on craigs list. She will do much better. I gave my daughter my machine at 7 and my son as well both are great sewers. My grand daughter at 6 got one of my good machines and also does well. Remember the better the tools the better results. Its is worth the maybe 25-50$ is well worth it. Let her do a small quilt so she does not get overwhelmed. or maybe a pot holder or place mat. Or just a string bag to start. Good luck and have fun.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:57 PM

I do sewing lessons with my grandaughter (age 6)... she uses my tools and machine and with supervision has made several things ... pj bottoms, pillowcase, purse size kleenex covers, rag quilt, doll clothes, totebag some are more perfect than others but she loves it and is learning so much and it great one on one grandma time!
You could make her a needlecase and pincushion that would be special.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:36 PM

love the journal idea. some day she can look back & see"spent the sewing with Nanna". give her a stash of pre-cut blocks (5")or so. ask your friends to wrap up some pre-cut blocks also to get surprise & variety. she can learn 4-patch, then 9-patch, etc. good marker for her seams.(blue tape, etc.)
a micro cart could make her ironing surface on the top,under neath could be her own place for her stuff.then it could wheel out of the way when she is not there. foot pedal on a big block of wood so her little feet can easily reach it.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:11 PM

I used to buy the panel fabrics for my girls. They had storybook characters, dolls, animals, aprons. They're a lot of fun for kids (and moms!)
Old 10-20-2010, 06:58 PM

Is a Simplicity #30516 First Fashions LockStitcher considered a "real" sewing machine? I'd like to get one for my granddaughter, but her parents aren't thrilled with the idea of having to help her use it as neither of them sew. I only see her a couple of weeks a year as we live several states apart. She is 7. I don't know if she could manage this machine with just a few lessons from me or if it's really just inappropriate anyway.
Any thoughts you'd like to share out there?
Old 10-20-2010, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by wildyard
Is a Simplicity #30516 First Fashions LockStitcher considered a "real" sewing machine? I'd like to get one for my granddaughter, but her parents aren't thrilled with the idea of having to help her use it as neither of them sew. I only see her a couple of weeks a year as we live several states apart. She is 7. I don't know if she could manage this machine with just a few lessons from me or if it's really just inappropriate anyway.
Any thoughts you'd like to share out there?
I probably wouldn't purchase a sewing machine if I wasn't close by to help ... what about teaching her hand sewing, embroidery or crocheting?