Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
advice for christmas gift >

advice for christmas gift

advice for christmas gift

Old 10-22-2010, 03:37 AM

So many great suggestions. My first sewing box was a gift that gave me the desire to try . My mother could not see to teach me. She sent me to the Girls club to learn with others my age.I think my mother still has every strange item that I created. It made want to learn even though I did not know I was learning. I was Just Playing with the fabric.
I love the basket to put in in. I think we will all be waiting to hear how she likes it. Maybe You can take a picture as she unwraps it. See the excitement. And Of course share it with us...
I also think it has given all of us so ideas for our loved ones.It has made me remember that happy gift and all the fun it brought to me.
Christina
Old 10-22-2010, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by fatquarters
chocolate
seam ripper
ruler
pins
cute pin cushion
scissors

Oh this sounds like fun!!!
I'm with fatquarters!!!!!! throw in a candy bar!!!
Old 10-22-2010, 05:22 AM

As my step daughter got older I gave her gift card from all the fabric store around this area.....1 at a time....that way if her mom took her shopping she could pick out her own stuff....works good for me.....Carolyn...Vicksburg...MS
But you could also take some of her old cloths she can't wear anymore and cut into squares for her to sew with.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:51 AM

To save a few quid - you could make her a pin cushion and needlebook or - make her up little kits for these two items - so they can be her first projects!!

I still have the needlebook I made when I was 6 (a long long time ago) Use it everyday - it is a nice starter project - will try and post a picture later on.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:55 AM

I still have my beginning sewing box from sixth grade! I have som e fabric and embroidery floss from my grandma. The first pattern I sewed is in there. Rickrack is in there. It was one of my favorite things to use back then. I have buttons of all sorts. When you are young, everything needs at least one button. I also have a thimble, all kinds of needles, sewing scissors with my initials on them, tape measure, spools of neutral threads, a seam gauge, and I could go on. Maybe this will give you some great ideas.

If some people who mean something to her contribute, she will be 45 some day, and holding that stuff remembering every person who gave it to her! She will also look at that first clothing pattern, remember sewing it, wearing it, and laugh at the style from way back then!
Old 10-22-2010, 06:55 AM

I kept a nuts & bolt case full of ribbon lace etc for my grand kids so when they came over they knew any thing in it they could use also a scrap bag. They loved going in there and playing with it, we made cards boxes dressed teddy bears to give to their mommy's and were so proud of what they made.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by mysippycup2
I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about what to include in sewing box for my 8 year old for christmas. She is asking santa this year for a sewing machine. I need (inexpensive) ideas of things to include. I will have to share my little stash of fabric with her because I think it is more important that she has the other stuff to go with her machine rather than her own stash.
All ideas are appreciated.
Tina
be sure to add a good seam ripper. I recomment Fons And Porter red and cream ripper. It's about $5 and the handle is easy to hold making ripping very easy.

AND BE SURE TO TELL KIDDO that needing to rip seams is NOT a crime. Making mistakes is part of sewing, we all do it, and we all need to feel comfortable about fixing it.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Butterflyblue
I'm putting together the same sort of thing (but only for hand sewing) for my daughter for christmas. I'm thinking a bunch of different embroidery threads, cute needle book and pincushion, scissors, a charm pack, a spool of thread, and maybe a kids sewing book with projects (but the idea of printing out stuff from the internet is good, too. There are a lot of cute cute projects and tutorials online).

I plan to share my stash with her, as well, but I figure a charm pack will give her something to "play with", trying out fabric combinations and the precut pieces will be good for her since she can't cut well at all.

How about some marking pens or pencils, or tailors chalk? Also a seam gauge. If she's going to quilt, maybe a set of basic acrylic templates.
Speaking of needle books, I made personalized needle books for the ladies who quilt at our church. The covers were done in aida cloth with the names cross stitched on. Each had a simple cross stitched border. I also made 4 pages inside from flannel. One was made of felt--------a lot easier and a lot faster. Add a variety of needle sizes, some pins, and a few safety pins.

The book can be quite simple and will be a treat for her, too.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by wildyard
Is a Simplicity #30516 First Fashions LockStitcher considered a "real" sewing machine? I'd like to get one for my granddaughter, but her parents aren't thrilled with the idea of having to help her use it as neither of them sew. I only see her a couple of weeks a year as we live several states apart. She is 7. I don't know if she could manage this machine with just a few lessons from me or if it's really just inappropriate anyway.
Any thoughts you'd like to share out there?
Buy a good used machine. It shouldn't take long to teach her how to use a machine. Most instruction books that come with the machines will cover any issues she has when not with you.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:34 AM

I keep quart sized zip lock freezer bags in my sewing box.

I've got a bag of sewing machine attachments, easier than the box they come in which won't stay shut when the container is joggled around.

One bag contains a few buttons, D-rings,

Another has a few snaps, hooks and eyes.

What your GD has will differ, but the zip lock bags are easy to see thru and won't take as much room as a small plastic container.