Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice on how to choose a new chair? >

Advice on how to choose a new chair?

Advice on how to choose a new chair?

Old 12-21-2023, 09:11 AM

Default Advice on how to choose a new chair?

I'm ready to buy a proper sewing / office chair. Nothing too pricey, maybe $150 CAD maximum.

My 'sewing table' is my oak drop-leaf table that I can easily open and put away as needed. But I need a good chair because what I'm currently using ruins my back and hips and isn't the proper height to use with this table. So I figure I should buy an adjustable chair. Any advice on features to look for?
Old 12-21-2023, 09:29 AM

go to an office supply store and sit in everything they have. the length of our legs, the length of our backs... all makes a difference. You'll get recommendations, but unless you can sit in it first I'd avoide ordering something unseen. Good luck, my office chairs were one of the best investments I've made in my passion for quilting
Along with a set in sewing machine and a working wall.
Old 12-21-2023, 11:01 AM

I recommend a chair with independent tilting seat and back that will lock into position. Sit forward in the chair, like you are sewing, don't recline back. height adjustable back is important also. Get one that fits you.
Old 12-21-2023, 12:34 PM

I'm with Kalama on this. Office chairs are excellent for this purpose. If you can't pivot the chair, you will twist and bend to pick things up, and it won't end well for your back (ask me how I know.)

Also, make sure that the seat height will be compatible with the height of your table. If the office supply doesn't have the right thing, you can take a risk and order online. You can simulate different seat heights with books beforehand to get the range you need.

We just ordered pivoting, rolling chairs via Wayfair, and it took a lot of digging to find the ones that had a seat height range that would work. But they indeed worked well and were beautifully packed, so there's that as riskier option.

hugs,
charlotte
Old 12-21-2023, 01:18 PM

You should also look for a chair that the arms can fold up and out of the way so that you can sit closer to your table. Many office chairs do not have moveable arms. That will cause you to be too far away, you will scoot the chair closer and bump into your table and mar the finish on it.
Old 12-21-2023, 01:29 PM

I've always taken off the left arm of my chairs because I pivot that way to the ironing board
Old 12-22-2023, 04:29 AM

I have gone though many chairs. I bought them 2nd hand. I finally found one I really like. Many I had were comfortable, but ended up not being good for the back. My suggestion would be to check your Facebook market or search local 2nd hand shops. I bought all of mine for under 20.00 and just redonated the ones I did not like, but you also could resell them. Make sure its adjustable.
Old 12-22-2023, 05:48 AM

Moving to the new house we left behind our old worn out chairs. With the Black Friday sales I went to Office Depot and chose a basic steno type (no arms) for I think it was just under $100 US on sale.

I really recommend sitting in the actual model. I don't need much back support or adjustment but I am sensitive to the seat length and width. Some seats hit my thighs in a bad spot. I want at least an easy adjustable height control.

If you are a larger person be aware that chairs also have weight limits, although 250 lbs is somewhat standard some are much lower. I did a little looking but couldn't find the chair I bought -- don't remember but it had a name... one I saw that looked similar only had a 150 lb capacity.
Old 12-22-2023, 06:54 AM
Power Poster

As others have said ... test drive first is always best!

Some stores will let you return it if it doesn't work in the home setting. So it's good to check about first, as it may influence where you want to shop.

For me, I went for a drafting chair. It's lowest setting is about the highest setting of a standard steno/office chair. Gives me variation at the sewing machine, and if I want to sit up to my cutting table to work on a project, I can raise it right up. (I'd never cut from it, but I do use the cutting table for other projects.)

There are so many options with these chairs. Only you really know which ones are important for you, but adjustability is well worth the extra cost.

Good Luck!
Old 12-22-2023, 07:11 AM

I got a wonderful chair used at an office furniture store. It is totally adjustable, It was a dusty rose with no wear spots. I paid $100, it would have been $125 if I had wanted arms with it. It was a Herman Miller chair originally $600. The company was changing out their office colors so the dusty rose had to go. I still have it. I originally used it for doing pantos on my little midarm on a frame as I was having foot problems at the time. I just rolled it along the table on my basement floor. It worked great.