Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice Needed - How Should I Quilt This? >

Advice Needed - How Should I Quilt This?

Advice Needed - How Should I Quilt This?

Old 09-14-2014, 06:32 AM

Default Advice Needed - How Should I Quilt This?

Hi Everyone

I have just finished my second quilt which is for a friend in the UK. I wanted an African feel so have used fabric based on the shweshwe design. I was going to have it long arm quilted with a floral design in purple thread so that it would stand out against the white and help tone down it's 'starkness'. Now that it's finished though, I feel that maybe flowers would not fit in with the geometric design. Should I do straight line quilting on each side of the stitching lines instead? I.e. squares and then a diagonal following the direction of the purple and white HST's. The finished HST/block size is 8.5". Would this kind of quilting be adequate? Opinions/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!
Attached Thumbnails quilt-1_web.jpg   quilt-close-up_1_web.jpg  
Old 09-14-2014, 06:40 AM

To me, the white HSTs are crying for some echo fan shapes which would soften the hard angles without disrupting the overall design. As for the rest, I think in the ditch would do nicely. I bet you can do this yourself and save some $ for more fabric. Let us know how you decide and pic's of the final product. Very nice quilt.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:16 AM

Wait, your second quilt? Ever? That is just beautiful and you've done a great job! If i were having someone that is experienced in FMQ (I'd be too scared to try it myself), I'd do straight line quilting on the colored fabrics and I agree with Jo, an echo fan or something would be perfect. If it were me, I think I'd use white thread on the white fabric so that it will give texture to the areas but not draw away from all the beautiful blocks.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:19 AM

No advice on how to quilt as I pretty much SITD for everything unless I cross-hatch, but just wanted to say what a beautiful quilt.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:07 AM

What a great top! Love the colours!

Hmm, I could see kind of a square spiral in the blocks, but that is a lot of stopping and turning. Or just go with the geometric feeling and echo quilt the "stairs" of the blocks. (Hope you understand what I mean, if not, ask! )

Also check out this website, you'll find loooads of ideas to quilt with your walking foot!
Old 09-14-2014, 08:08 AM
Power Poster

In general, it's a good idea to add curved lines to a geometric quilt. It's like using contrasting fabric -- adds interest. I think your original idea of a floral quilting design is fine. Feathers would work too, as would a Baptist Fan design.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:33 AM
Power Poster

I realize this is your second quilt so if your comfort zone is with straight stitching, then I would stitch a 1" to 1.5" echoing the 90 degree in the triangles with matching thread. I would use white thread on the white and what ever color looks best in the check. I would also STID around all the squares in the quilt. When you feel confident, then it will be time for you to attempt some free motion quilting. Good Luck!!
Old 09-14-2014, 09:53 PM

I LOVE the echo fan quilting suggestion! Unfortunately as I am only a beginner, I still need loads of practice with free motion quilting to reach the stage where I will feel comfortable to use it on an actual quilt. (I have been practicing on small quilt sandwiches). I definitely agree that the white HST's need 'something'. I will have a look at the website that Cathy77 suggested though as I might find something that I am comfortable doing. All the input has given me a lot to think of, especially creating texture in the white areas with a matching thread instead of a contrast thread. Doing my own quilting would definitely save me $'s and the idea of spending the money on fabric instead, is of course VERY appealing. Thank you to all of you for the very positive and helpful comments. I am feeling inspired and raring to go for quilt number three! (I wish I'd discovered quilting years ago! So much lost time!)
P.S. this pattern is so quick and easy and I absolutely loved making it! The pattern and tutorial is by Amanda from Jedi Craft Girl and can be found here http://www.jedicraftgirl.com/2014/08...riar-rose.html
Old 09-15-2014, 07:23 AM

That is a great quilt – what a great use of fabrics and colors!