Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice is needed please >

Advice is needed please

Advice is needed please

Old 11-28-2010, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by sandy12010
ok will try the light on the top and left side and the dark on the bottom and right side so if I do that then on the next block will the light be on the same side as the first panel and butt up to the dark fabric or do you put a different color between the two I am telling you I feel really stupid or my blonde is actually starting to show..lol
This is one possibility, but isn't the attic windows ... by now, you have seen my last post, so I am going to hang around and see if you saw anything you liked in the sample website I sent. Otherwise, you and I will have to discuss this other thing.
You aren't having a blonde moment - - you are understanding what I was saying BEFORE I knew you wanted to do attic windows! LOL
See? It isn't anything wrong with you! You are doing fine. It is going to be a GREAT quilt! <wave>
Old 11-28-2010, 03:38 PM

I went to the site www.quiltblocksgalore.com and looked at the attic window and tried that but couldnt get my corner to come out so I actually thought about cutting squares and making my triangle pcs that was so it would be more like sewing on a square instead of a triangle..but I am not sure but I am not sure how much of the panels to cut down to get them to look right someone said about losing most of the white so if I do that then will lose some of the picture but I guess it wont make much difference since it is a window scene..(Right)
Old 11-28-2010, 03:47 PM

I went to the site www.quiltblocksgalore.com and looked at the attic window and tried that but couldnt get my corner to come out so I actually thought about cutting squares and making my triangle pcs that was so it would be more like sewing on a square instead of a triangle..but I am not sure but I am not sure how much of the panels to cut down to get them to look right someone said about losing most of the white so if I do that then will lose some of the picture but I guess it wont make much difference since it is a window scene..(Right)
You have the idea for making the HST for the corners exactly correct.
Before you trim, just how unsquare are they? Eleanor Burns says if it is 1/4" or less, you can stretch it to fit, and I have had to do that on some pretty fancy quilts <g> <wave>
Old 11-28-2010, 03:48 PM

HOld it!
I just went back to the first picture, and I was looking at a rectangle ... nothing says that the picture has to be square ... all that is necessary is that the sides be straight .. I have seen rectangular windows, have you? <wave>
Old 11-28-2010, 04:02 PM

I will try and get one or two done this wk and post it. It all depends on my hours at work if I work 12's the wont get done...lol
I WANT TO THANK YOU ALL FOR TRYING TO HELP THIS PERSON THAT FEELS REALLY DUMB....I AM PROBABLY MAKING IT HARDER THEN IT ACTUALLY IS THAT WOULD BE BE...BUT SERIOUSLY THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH WILL POST MORE WHEN I GET THEM DONE..
Old 11-28-2010, 04:21 PM

Well, that is what we are here for!
Maybe, while you are working, I will pull some blocks and see if I can't make some pictoral samples of what we have discussed this day, but I really do want to know:
Are the blocks rectangular?
I don't remember - - did you say they were all the same size, but just not square?
maybe - - you could post a picture of four of them lying side by side ( in a four patch, sort of) so I can understand, whether the issue is "square" vs rectangular ... or misshaped.
I can assure you of this!
When you get done asking all of the questions you need to get your project accomplished, you will be just amazed at how much you grew!
Life is sort of like that, you know? <wave> :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: We are all on your side. ;-)
Old 11-28-2010, 05:24 PM

The pieces are 11" wide by 9"tall and my strips are 3 inches wide so now I cant figure out the darn HST for when I make them 3" like the strips and mark the line in the middle from corner to corner then stitch 1/4 inch on each side of line my HST's when sewn together come up short so do I have to make my squares for the HST 3.5 inches
Old 11-28-2010, 05:31 PM

The pieces are 11" wide by 9"tall and my strips are 3 inches wide so now I cant figure out the darn HST for when I make them 3" like the strips and mark the line in the middle from corner to corner then stitch 1/4 inch on each side of line my HST's when sewn together come up short so do I have to make my squares for the HST 3.5 inches
as long as the pieces are straight sided, I wouldn't trim, just make your windows that size.
So your strips are three inches BEFORE you sew them in? or after you sew them in ...
The width of the strip minus half an inch will give you the finished size of your strip.
To get your HST with this technique ... add ONE inch to the finished size of your strip ... that is the size to cut your squares ... you will end up trimming some of your HST, but that one inch is necessary for that added angle.
Suppose you can't figure out the finished size of your strip ...
well, then consider the cut size of your strip and cut squares that size PLUS one inch ... then do the line and 1/4" stitching on each side of the line. <wave>
Old 11-28-2010, 05:45 PM

Why am I feeling so stupid I guess it is alot of the reason because I have never did HST and or anything this advanced in quilting I have always did the easy squares or something like that so on the HST do I have to trim the tip to have them lay right or will they be ok
Old 11-28-2010, 06:28 PM

Why am I feeling so stupid I guess it is alot of the reason because I have never did HST and or anything this advanced in quilting I have always did the easy squares or something like that so on the HST do I have to trim the tip to have them lay right or will they be ok
The reason you will trim the HST is because with the 1" added, especially, it will be a little bigger than you need.
But, it is easier to cut an even size than those 1/8ths things, so I recommend the 1" bigger and trim down.
Maybe I need to find you some technique boards to show you what I am talking about. <wave>
Off to find some good technique charts for you <g> you are doing fine. take a deep breath and get a cup of coffee or something <g>